Students for Education plans to meet again later this month

TEACH+TEACHERS%3A+Aghilah+Nadaraj%2C+Students+for+Education+vice+president+and+senior%2C+prepares+a+list+of+topics+to+cover+during+a+future+club+meeting.+Nadaraj+said+the+next+club+meeting+will+focus+on+training+new+individuals+to+become+tutors.+HENRY+ZHU+%2F+PHOTO+
TEACH TEACHERS: Aghilah Nadaraj, Students for Education vice president and senior, prepares a list of topics to cover during a future club meeting. Nadaraj said the next club meeting will focus on training new individuals to become tutors. HENRY ZHU / PHOTO

Student for Education, a group dedicated to promoting literacy in the Indianapolis area, is planning to meet in the next few weeks to discuss its activities. According to Aghilah Nadaraj, vice president and senior, the meeting will focus on training new members to become better tutors.

“We’re going to start encouraging members to tutor once the Coburn shelter opens up next month, but first we want to make sure all our members have a general idea of how to tutor,” Nadaraj said. “We’re planning a training session for new tutors by the end of August, so our members can help the kids at Coburn more effectively.”

According to sponsor Sherri Pankratz, the club’s meetings and activities are almost entirely run by students.

“I leave most of the day-to-day functions of the club to the students,” Pankratz said.

Nadaraj said the club recently had a call-out meeting, and the large number of new members led to the need for a training session.

“We had our call-out meeting on Aug. 11, and we had around 20 to 30 people attend,” Nadaraj said. “A lot of them were new members or freshmen, so we felt it was really important that we show them the ropes to tutoring. After all, we can’t tutor anybody if the tutors don’t know what they are doing.”