CHS art students to display artwork at Carmel International Art Festival

CHS art students will display their artwork at the Carmel International Art Festival in the Arts and Design District in downtown Carmel on Sept. 24 and Sept. 25.

Since 2006, students from CHS and University High School have been able to display their artwork in one of two high school art tents. According to art department chair Jennifer Davis, there will be 70 different pieces of student artwork on display at the CIAF. Most of the artwork, which took students anywhere from two to six weeks to complete, was created last spring. This year, there will be four $250 scholarships available for art students.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to get their artwork displayed and viewed,” Davis said. “It’s really fun when students converse with the professionals and learn more about art.”

The CIAF began in 1997 and has moved locations from the Civic Square to the Providence Apartments to the Arts and Design District. “There is something to plan during the entire year and it gets very busy during the last two months,” Rosemary Waters, president of the CIAF, said via email. “We’ve grown to around 135 very talented artists in watercolor, glass, 2D, jewelry, photography, 3D, wood, sculpture and ceramics.”            

Last year, over 30,000 people attended the CIAF, and event planners are expecting the same amount this year.

“We are looking forward to a great weekend with the weather and we think we will have a record breaking crowd this year,” Waters said.