Summer’s over, time to get to work

By: Jaclyn Chen <[email protected]>

“The smarter the journalists are, the better society is. To a degree, people read the press to inform themselves — and the better the teacher, the better the student body”
– Warren Buffett

… and we’re back. So starts another year at Carmel High School.

I hope this first issue of the newspaper finds you in high spirits for the 2007-2008 school year. The HiLite is back in full force, and we’ve already begun rolling our creative juices to serve you, our readers.

Our mission is to give you food for thought every time you read the paper, and hopefully you’ll find something to ponder. As always, you’ll find solid, objective reporting from our writers and story-telling shots from our photographers. We plan to continue to provide you with up-to-date information that tells you who, what, when and where, but in addition, give you the how and the why. If there’s something happening at school or in the community, not only will we include specific changes, but we’ll spotlight possible ways that the event will impact you.

Last year, we revamped and updated our look for easier reading. This year, our new focus is expanding coverage for convenient access to the news you need to know. On our Web site, www.hilite.org, you will find updated photos from events around the school and weekly sports score updates every Monday. On Mondays before issue dates, you’ll find teasers of what’s to come in the HiLite at week’s end.

On the bottom of the front page, you’ll continue to find the quick-read feature, the “Weekend Patrol.” We try to fill this space with easy-to-access information, such as concert sales and movie releases. Let us know if there’s anything else you’d like to see in the scroller.

In addition, we’ve updated the calendar (on page 3 of this issue) to include more events and happenings between issue dates. It’s now flipped on its side, and you can even pull it out for easier reading. Again, we’ve revamped the look for our ever-changing audience.

In the sports section, we will provide more coverage of JV and freshman sports in addition to the varsity features. As a high school paper, we try to provide stories and photos that you don’t normally see in other professional publications. In addition, we will also include more timeless sports pieces and quick-read features.

The HiLite, at its core, is a service to the school and the community, so we want to make sure your voice is clearly heard. We’re moving your letters to the editor to our perspectives pages, and corrections and clarifications will now be found in the news section. Your comments are important to us, and if you see something you love, hate or have any emotion toward in between, drop us a few lines. We value your input.

Bear in mind that regardless of the minor changes we’re making, we’re still a service to you, our readership. That one goal will always remain the same. Ever have something you’d like to say? Shoot me an e-mail. As always, thanks for reading the HiLite.