Students compete through AP classes

By: Beverly Jenkins <[email protected]>

With well over 4,000 students attending this school, it is hard to stand out, especially when it comes to college applications.
For some, the way to get recognized is to take an advanced placement class. “I think that taking AP classes definitely gives students an edge when it comes to being accepted,” junior Batel Miller, who is currently enrolled in AP U.S. History, said. “That is part of the reason why I’m taking it.” This edge is a main motivator as to why Miller is taking the class, but she is also taking it to prepare for college classes in general, and because she generally likes the subject.

Miller’s enthusiasm is important. While AP classes may offer incentives such as the Academic Honors Diploma and college credit hours, Tracy Hadden, AP European History teacher, said enthusiasm should play a role as well.

“I think that the majority of people who take AP classes probably don’t enjoy them, and they’re taking it for the Academic Honors Diploma,” AP European History student and sophomore Aysenaz Esen said. “I don’t think that I’d take the class if I didn’t pass the exam or get the diploma. Besides, colleges like to see determination in a student. The discipline a student has to take an AP class is impressive. They don’t care if you liked it or not.”

After all, the classes, Hadden said, require quite a bit of additional work outside of the class. “Most universities say that for every hour of class time, you should spend two hours studying, so my students should have three hours of study time for each class,” Hadden said. “

Personally, I think that my students should spend about an hour every night, though.”

Not only does the class require more time than a class of traditional high school level, but the fees for taking an AP class may be a challege for some students as well. “An AP exam costs about $84, or more, depending on the subject,” counseling department chair person Linda Skafish said. “Some classes do cost more than others, though, because other AP classes are newer and haven’t been added to the budget yet.”

Skafish also said that AP English classes cost more because the funding was cut for that particular subject. Students also have to pay for book rental, and some may even hire tutors, which causes the AP price tag to skyrocket.

With all of these requirements, those students who take the class may wonder if taking the class would be worth it if they failed the AP exam or didn’t achieve a similar academic goal, such as being accepted into a university.

“Taking (an AP level class) purely out of enjoyment can absolutely be reason enough,” Skafish said. Skafish also recommends that a student should take an AP class if he is interested in the subject matter. Even if the student does not need to take the course, if the student is interested in it, that is reason enough to take the course.

“Nobody should elect to take a course if they don’t enjoy the subject matter,” Skafish said.

“Taking the class would be worth it,” Miller said, “because it teaches you what college-based classes would be like.”

“Studies have shown that 80 percent of students who take advanced placement classes attend a four-year school,” Skafish said. “Taking an AP class is beneficial because it is in a smaller, familiar setting. It’s cheap and a good introduction to college classes; it’s a great way to get your feet wet. It leaves you so much better prepared.”