Students should make themselves more employable by trying new things

Since the recession began in late 2007, we have been peppered with phrases like “real-estate equity losses” and “sub-prime loan rates.” However, only recently have these “grown-up” phrases begun to hit home with our generation. According to a newly released 2012 study by the Pew Research Center, only 54 percent of Americans ages 18 to 24 are currently employed, the lowest that rate has been in 60 years. As protests fueled by frustration and a loss of patience spark across the United States and Europe, Time Magazine dubbed this demographic “The Jobless Generation” in its struggles. As many of us use our high school experience to prepare ourselves for careers later, now is the time to pay attention to these statistics in order to make ourselves as employable as possible.

As college graduates cling to their diplomas when they pick up shifts at fast-food restaurants while sending out a plethora of résumés, the realization dawns that the key to being employable is versatility.
College graduates are finding that simply getting their degree is not always enough to land them their dream job (or often any job) these days. Employers are now looking for candidates who are versatile- that is, skilled in many different areas. Why hire three people when you can hire one person who is capable of doing all three jobs?

Therefore, we must now begin preparing ourselves to branch out. That being said, it is not necessary to master skills in every genre from medicine to law to business. The key to being a versatile and employable individual is branching out within your own element. Always leave room for new opportunities before narrowing your interests, and now, more than any other time in your life, is exactly the right time to do it. Your life will never be more of a blank canvas than it is right now.

Take for example Mehmet Oz, better known as “Dr. Oz” from his appearances on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and now on “The Dr. Oz Show.” Although Oz knew he wanted to go to medical school and become a doctor, he also got a business degree at the same time. With both an MD and an MBA, Oz was able to not only practice medicine, but also use his business skills to move up in the medical world.
With this in mind, students must consider themselves and their career options. They may already have narrowed their interests down to a certain field, such as law. However, students need to do the research in order to discover all of the different positions available within the field of law and keep an open mind.

Try internships at a variety of different types of law firms. Master a second or third language. Just because you think you may not be interested in moving your future career or your life in that direction now does not mean that someday that opportunity will not open up. Be prepared to be able to seize that chance whenever it may come.
Most importantly, think about what it is that is going to be on your résumé that is going to make you a cut above all of the other applicants. Why should an employer choose you over all the others? Recognize that having a degree alone may not be enough anymore, and acknowledge  versatility-then embrace it. Doors will only begin to close when you close them yourself. Until then you still have the opportunity to try your hand at a hundred different things. And branching out, you may be surprised at what you find out you enjoy.

As high school students, we are only just becoming members of the 18 to 24-year-old demographic. Using the knowledge of the increasingly high unemployment rates combined with an increasingly competitive job market to our benefit, we may better plan for our futures by becoming advocates for our own self-awareness.
While it is good to know your interests and be in touch with your personal beliefs, we are simply too young to narrow ourselves down to one set career path. Now is the time to move forward, discover the world and, in doing so, make us as multitalented, and thus employable, as possible.