CCPL to host Dine on a Dime

Junior Katie Gao fills out a review of her Dine on a Dime dish. Students in this meeting learned how to make fruit dishes at a cheap price.

Dine on a Dime, an event that teaches teens how to make foods at home that they would usually buy at restaurants, takes place on Sept. 26 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in the program room of the Carmel Clay Public Library (CCPL).

Students will have an opportunity to save money by learning how to make their own Emoticon cookies instead of buying it ready-made in a store or restaurant. This event was created in response to a grant from an organization called the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).

According to Hope Baugh, Young Adult Services manager at the CCPL, students have a lot to gain from attending Dine on a Dime. “They (students) can learn how to make their favorite restaurant or store treats for a fraction of the cost,” Baugh said.

Ashley Parkinson, member of the Teen Library Council and junior, said she likes how students can get samples and recipe cards. “Students should come because it’s an easy way to make delicious food for a fraction of a cost at home,” she said. “It’s also fun to see your friends at the meetings and just hang out and learn something new.”