Music for thought. The performing arts are important to our being cultured and well-rounded individuals.

If you announce that you have never been to one of our high school football games, would you be ridiculed? Most likely. But how about one of our performing arts events? Less likely.

While it is true that being a spectator and audience member of an athletic event may be much easier than being a concert attendee, you may find the latter to be equally as rewarding of an experience. But if you weren’t aware already, performing arts—classical music in particular—has been repeatedly challenged, both in the institution of public education and in the professional world.

Early last month, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra (ISO) canceled its first two weeks of performances after negotiations between the management of the orchestra and the musicians failed to resolve, due to the inability of the management to financially support the ISO in its entirety. Until last week, the negotiations with the ISO had made little ground, and the orchestra remained locked out of performance. It was possible that the orchestra was to be reduced in size, with the salaries and health benefits of the musicians cut and the performance season shortened. While a “bridge agreement” reached last week temporarily resolves the conflict, this bridge will fall if $5 million is not raised by Feb. 3 of next year. The ISO spokespeople have expressed confidence that the symphony would meet the fundraising goal, however.

At a school like ours, it is easy to forget about the exceptional opportunities and resources we have. Our school district does not see to the same degree the continuous budget cuts that others must endure year after year in the status quo of the economy. That might be a reason why cuts to performing arts are not a major issue within our society.

About a month ago, five musicians from the ISO came to our Symphony Orchestra rehearsal as a response to the letters of support our student musicians wrote. I was lucky enough to be a part of that rehearsal. As rehearsal ended, I noticed that one of the musicians’ spouses attended our rehearsal, and, after exchanging a few words with our orchestra director, the pair left the building together­­ —a simple story, yes, but it struck me with a thought. These professional musicians, most of whom have chosen to dedicate their entire lives from early childhood to music, were in financial jeopardy. And many of these musicians still have their families to support, often having both parents working in the music industry. The ISO affair delivered a strong message to today’s youth: “Music is not a ‘safe’ career. Music education is not necessary to become a balanced, worldly and cultured individual. Music is just a luxury.”

However, music shouldn’t be just a luxury. Besides the research-backed proof that music and arts education has positive effects on our academic performance, studies have also shown that it can boost civic engagement and build stronger communities. However, reports have shown that despite the benefits of the arts, they are continuously eroded throughout the United States.

In April, a prepared remark given by Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, cited a report of arts education in the 2009-2010 school year that more than 40 percent of secondary schools in the United States do not require coursework in the arts as a requirement for graduation. In addition, more than 1.3 million elementary school students and 800,000 secondary school students fail to receive any music education.

While these statistics may not be representative of our school district, they certainly hold true for those around us. Although performing arts may be one of the costlier facets of society, we cannot afford to compromise it if we are to maintain our culturally rich and well-rounded community.

Performing arts is not an elitist group; you don’t have to be an expert on classical music in order to enjoy a concert. If you’ve never been to one, attend the next performing arts event here, or at The Center for the Performing Arts. Bring your friends with you to a band, choir, orchestra or theatre performance. Maybe you’ll discover a new interest, and if you do, show your support—every bit counts.