CHS students show support for Palestine, Israel through demonstrations

Senior Leena Basha shows her support for the Palestinian side of the Gaza conflict during a protest downtown. CHS students showed their respective support for both the Palestinians and Israelis this week and plan to have more events next week. LEENA BASHA/ SUBMITTED PHOTO
Senior Leena Basha shows her support for the Palestinian side of the Gaza conflict during a protest at Monument Circle. CHS students showed their respective support for both the Palestinians and Israelis this week and plan to have more events next week. LEENA BASHA/ SUBMITTED PHOTO

As the conflict between Israel and Gaza continues, students here are showing support for respective sides by participating in protests and demonstrations.

Senior Leena Basha showed her support for the Palestinian cause on Saturday Nov. 17 at a  protest supporting Gaza. The protest took place at Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis and had over 100 participants.

“I went to the protest because I wanted to stand in solidarity with the people of Gaza and to show my support,” Leena said.”I also wanted to help raise awareness and show Americans a point of view that isn’t showed as much in the media. It is absolutely vital for Hoosiers, and Americans in general, to be informed about Israel’s crimes against Palestinian civilians.”

Nora Basha, organizer of the protest, said the event was successful. “The protest we held at Monument Circle today was very successful. More than 100 people came out in less than a day’s notice,” Nora said.

Students supporting the Israeli side of the conflict also their showed support  for Israel by wearing the color blue on Tuesday, Nov. 20. The event was a national movement spread through Facebook.

Senior Jacob Tehrani, who participated in the event, said he supports the Israelis but can see the conflict from both sides of the issue.

“I participated (by wearing blue) because I stand with Israel,” said Tehrani. “That doesnt mean that I dont feel sorry for the Palestinians caught in the crossfire; I cannot imagine how hard it is for them right now. However, Israel shouldn’t be expected to just sit there and do nothing while rockets are being launched at it from Gaza.”

Both Leena and Tehrani said they had advice for students.

“I want CHS students to know the real history between Palestine and Israel,” Basha said. “Israel has occupied Palestinian territory for more than 63 years. Everyday new settlements are being built on Palestinian land. Gaza lives in an open-air prison and is one of the most populated areas in the world. Israel has put Gaza under an intense and brutal siege since 2006. For the past week, Israel has sent tens of missiles and rockets over the border, which has killed over 100 civilians and injured over 500. They live in constant fear for their life and for their family’s lives.”

Tehrani advised students to access information through reliable sources.

“My advice is for all to read the media coming from both sides of the issue,” Tehrani said. “In Gaza, there are families that are literally huddling in their basements right now with no means of electronic communication available to them. In Israel, sirens are going off and Israelis only have minutes, if not seconds, to seek shelter before a rocket strikes. You wouldn’t believe the measures the IDF has taken to keep civilians on both sides out of harm’s way. ”

Another protest supporting Palestine will take place at Monument Circle this Saturday. There will also be another “Wear Blue for Israel” day next Tuesday.