Monthly safety tips part of schoolwide plan to keep security “at the foregrounds of everyone’s attentions”

A sign at Door 4 informs visitors of the procedure required to enter the school, a sentiment echoed in the first monthly safety tip. The administration began the program as part of a schoolwide effort to keep school safety in the forefronts of students’ and teachers’ minds.

Administrators recently began a safety program through which teachers and students are given monthly “tips” on maintaining a secure school environment. The first such tip in January advised that students not let in outsiders through locked doors during the school day.

A sign at Door 4 informs visitors of the procedure required to enter the school, a sentiment echoed in the first monthly safety tip. The administration began the program as part of a schoolwide effort to keep school safety in the forefronts of students’ and teachers’ minds. VICTOR XU / PHOTO

The tips are part of the school’s shift toward ensuring security constantly and practically. Last school year, after analysis of prominent school shootings, administrators introduced a “common sense” policy in the case of an intruder or other dangerous situation.

“We do drills, we talk and have lockdowns a couple times a year. The concern is that we’re having too few and everyone forgets about our school safety by April and before November,” Williams said, describing the rationale for the monthly tips. “We want to keep it at the foregrounds of everyone’s attention.”

According to Principal John Williams, the monthly initiative originated from discussions last year in an administrative safety team last semester. The group reviews school safety procedures frequently each school year, with its most recent discussion following the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting

in Newtown, CT.

There were, however, no changes in direct response to the shooting, where 26 students or staff were killed despite standard security procedures like locked doors during the day. Williams said CHS is a frontrunner in terms of school safety precautions and has been a model for other institutions nationwide. A group called the “M Team” addresses tips from teachers on perceived student mental health issues; an easily-accessible intercom is built for quick response to situations; frequent drills and dialogue keep students prepared.

In fact, Carmel Clay Schools have put so much emphasis on safety that the conversation is now directed toward whether schools are making drills too realistic. Elementary schools plan to tone down the “realness” of their drills, but Williams said CHS is satisfied with the current procedure.

“What are we doing to make people afraid? Are we doing harm by scaring people?” Williams said. “It’s the balance. We’ll never say, for example, that someone ‘has a gun.’ We have to make sure we’re not creating problems by making people so aware that they’re paranoid.”

Senator and junior George Gemelas, who has been part of student-administrator deliberations on school safety, said he is relatively satisfied with the status quo.

“I think although (some of them) just make us feel good, the security measures will be effective if something ever happens,” Gemelas said. “Improvements will be necessary, however. But honestly I do think we’re a leader in school security.”