Transportation department encourages students to ride bus in winter

Students walk to buses after school near Main Cafeteria. Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation, said he recommends students use the bus service instead of driving in the winter due to the added safety features bus travel provides. PATEL/PHOTO

The transportation department continues to promote winter weather awareness and encourages students to choose the bus over driving themselves in the midst of winter, according to Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation.

“Our website has many of the details describing why buses are safer for kids, but we’re just looking out for what’s safest,” Farrand said.

Farrand also said the transportation department advises the superintendent when he decides whether to call a 2-hour delay or school cancellation.

Students board their buses after school near Main Cafeteria. Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation, recommends students ride the bus instead of drive in the winter. PATEL / PHOTO
Students board their buses after school near Main Cafeteria. Ron Farrand, director of
facilities and transportation, recommends students ride the bus instead of drive in the
winter. PATEL / PHOTO

“As director I evaluate road conditions prior to making recommendation to (the) superintendent. The superintendent makes (the)  final determination,” he said.

Senior Jeremy Rolsky, however, said he choses to drive to school every day, as it is more convenient for him.

“When I drive, I’m on my time so if I need to stay after or go early, I can make that decision,” Rolsky said. “The bus schedule just doesn’t fit mine.