CHS math department prepares for 2013-14 school year, year two of RISE Standards

STUDY FOR SUCCESS: Freshman Jared Dickerson reads his Algebra I book. Dickerson said he plans to study for geometry his sophomore year. MATT BARNTHOUSE / PHOTO

The math department plans to use what they learn from this year in order to improve the math department next school year, according to department chairperson Jacinda Sohalski.

Sohalski said via email, “I think that (the teachers) have a better understanding of the RISE rubric and how it works. (The math department has) also received additional information related to the Common Core Standards and (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) testing. As (the math department moves) into next year these will be things that (the math department examines) more closely and (continues) to integrate into (the math department’s) curriculum.”

Jared Dickerson, Algebra I student and freshman, said he plans to prepare for the course he is taking next year, geometry.

“(I plan on) studying.” Dickerson said.

Dickerson said that his biggest trouble will most likely be remembering formulas.

Sohalski also said there will be no overarching changes to the math curriculum next year.

“No sweeping changes (will be made to the curriculum), (the math department) just (needs) to continue to adapt (the math department’s) curriculum to the new requirements being released by the state.