ArtsGarden completed, open to staff and students

Art Club president Alex Mikev works with art teacher Jennifer Bubp in the new ArtsGarden. The garden contains a mural, arbor and many plants.
Art Club president Alex Mikev works with art teacher Jennifer Bubp in the new ArtsGarden. The garden contains a mural, arbor and many plants. HENRY JACKSON / PHOTO

Art teacher Jennifer Bubp’s dream is now a reality. CHS Art Club’s main goal for last year was to complete its yearlong project, the ArtsGarden. Bubp described the CHS ArtsGarden as a truly beautiful, serene outdoor space that could be used as a quiet space where students could reflect. Alex Mikev, Art Club president and senior, said, “The ArtsGarden started out as a really dark concrete space with a bunch of weeds in it. (Art Club) ripped all the weeds, re-mulched and planted flowers.”

The main reason to plant the garden was to utilize wasted space. It was designed as an outdoor classroom setting, but students can utilize it as well. Teachers can sign up to use the garden just like they do for computer labs.

While making the garden, contributors realized that this big of a task could not be handled alone. With the help of many students, teachers and departments, the ArtsGarden flourishes with artwork, sculptures and flowers. Bubp’s Drawing 2 class created a three-panel mural of the different buildings seen in downtown Carmel, and students of art teacher Jon Kane made Personages—people-sized totems that were inspired by Louise Bourgeois.

Not only is the art department contributing to the ArtsGarden, but also other departments are giving a helping hand. Industrial Technology department head John Coghlan built concrete tabletops for the garden, as well as assisting junior Sanjeev Rao build a large arbor to lay artworks on.

Mikev said, “Mr. Stacy, from the science department, graciously offered his services to completely renovate the whole place, and re-mulch whatever the Art Club missed. It was a couple of grand of his service for free which is nice, because that would have meant that (Art Club) would have had to fundraise $2000 or get a grant for $2000.”

Not only the community within CHS is working on this project: Local artist Clyde Pennington decided to help the CHS ArtsGarden by welding a stainless steel butterfly that would encapsulate the beauty and serenity of its space.

Teachers have already used this space as a learning center or a spot to hold activities in. Science teacher Kara House has already utilized the ArtsGarden by letting Painted Lady Butterfly roam freely in the garden. She said she decided to use this place because there was nowhere better to let the butterflies go and let her AP Environmental Science students observe them.

The ArtsGarden inarguably brings the whole Carmel community together to develop and enjoy the garden, according to Kane. Different departments that normally do not congregate work hand in hand to create a serene space in CHS.

Kane said, “I think there is a possibility that the ArtsGarden is bringing the whole school together. There are opportunities for everyone to get involved. Whether they are creating components of the garden, or whether they are enjoying the garden. All classes have the opportunity to go to the garden. It is a contemplative garden. You can enjoy the peace and quiet, but also enjoy the arts as well.”