Freshman Activities Fair to take place Aug. 22

Student services coordinator Brittany Wiseman plans out the freshman activities fair.  The upcoming fair occurs on August 22, where freshman will get a chance to receive information about all of the clubs at Carmel High School. KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO
Student services coordinator Brittany Wiseman plans out the freshman activities fair. The upcoming fair occurs on August 22, where freshman will get a chance to receive information about all of the clubs at Carmel High School. KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO

This coming Thursday, there is an opportunity for the Freshman Class to get involved. This opportunity is the Activities Fair, an event where many clubs catering to freshmen will operate booths in the Freshman Cafeteria. During SRT, freshman will have the opportunity to visit the booths that interest them and find ways to get involved in CHS activities other than academics.

Molly Duncan, Diabetes Awareness Club president and senior, encourages freshman to explore the booths to try to find their niches. “It’s an opportunity for freshman to get to know the wide variety of extracurricular activities that CHS offers,” said Duncan. At the fair, Duncan will be running a booth promoting the Diabetes Awareness Club. Duncan said freshman should join clubs to get to know upperclassmen and high school beyond the H rooms. “They can learn what it means to be a Greyhound, and a big factor of being a Greyhound is being involved,” said Duncan.

According to Brittany Wiseman, coordinator of the 2013 Activities Fair, there will be a large variety of clubs, ensuring that students can find at least one club for themselves. Wiseman said that becoming involved in extracurricular activities enable freshman to become part of the Greyhound family and that all students benefit. “Being involved is part of the Greyhound culture,” Wiseman said. Each floor of the Freshmen Center will only be given 15 minutes to browse the activities fair, thus they must make the most of it. Wiseman encourages freshman to leave their friends and get information from clubs in which they have a common interest.

The Activities Fair will be this Thursday during SRT for freshman. Students will be sent to the fair by floor and will be given 15 minutes to explore clubs. Most clubs will be handing out fliers including information about the club and candy. “By joining clubs, freshman can leave a legacy at our school,” said Duncan.