School board to work with Superintendent Nicholas Wahl on new district goals

Superintendent Nicholas Wahl speaks with Principal John Williams during a convocation. Wahl is planning to establish a student advisory committee to discuss potential policies with administration. JOSEPH LEE / PHOTO

The school board and Superintendent Nicholas Wahl have been working together to come up with new district goals for the upcoming year. School board president Layla Spanenberg said that she is excited about working with Wahl to create a student-centered philosophy. Wahl is also intending to establish a committee of students to advise administration on new policies.

Senior Sam Schmidt said that he is supportive of that new philosophy and the new committee. He said that it would be beneficial for administration to hear from students.

“I think it’s a good technique he’s using. Getting the student’s input is definitely something that’ll be good for the schools,” Schmidt said.

According to Spanenberg, typically the Superintendent develops a plan during the summer for the upcoming year. However, since Wahl did not take the position until later in the year, he has just recently developed new district goals. Spanenberg said she and the board are looking forward to attain their new student-centered goals.

“We as a school board have been meeting and have met with Dr. Wahl to determine what (specific ways to measure goals) really looks like,” Spanenberg said. “Student-centered is really a balance between academic performance and the student’s well-being. It’s really exciting to the board that our Superintendent really puts emphasis on both areas.”