Superintendent meets Superintendent’s Advisory Committee, continues implementing action plan

Senior Noah Lybik completes an assignment in his AP Biology class. With the AP Capstone program, students can participate in research projects outside of the classroom in place of courses such as this. ERIC HE / PHOTO

According to Superintendent Nicholas Wahl, the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet following the adoption of the district action plan. This date has yet to be announced. The committee will hold monthly meetings.

Wahl said, “I talked to them about the student-centered matrix, and I said next meeting, after the goals are adopted, I will bring in the PowerPoint and go over the goals with them. We talked about a lot of things: mostly just getting to know their feelings about Carmel High School in the room collectively.”

According to Wahl, he specifically requested a diverse range of students from the school in order to gain a general consensus from the student population.

“(The committee) was a very interesting cross section of the high school from freshmen to seniors, represented in balanced genders and also some students who transferred from out of state and private schools and also some who have been in Carmel schools since kindergarten,” Wahl said. “I indicated to them that the purpose was that they represented the student voice.”

Wahl also hopes to begin implementing the action plan in the near future and has already begun to introduce some aspects to the high school such as the AP Capstone program.

“My hope is that it expands student opportunities for Carmel High School students so that we can look at more nontraditional opportunities for postsecondary college and career readiness,” Wahl said. “We’re really focusing more on the capstone opportunity so students are engaged their senior year and make that plan when you sit down with your counselor even freshman year. It makes it exciting and meaningful due to the ownership that students can have in their own education.”

Senior Noah Lybik said the new AP Capstone program would benefit many students.

Lybik said, “It’s really nice when students have that opportunity to expand their learning opportunities beyond the classroom.”

Wahl said that, with the new program and action plan, he hopes to gain feedback from the committee.

Wahl said, “I’m interested from a student perspective with what we do really well, what (students) would like to see more of, and what (students) would like to see less of.”