School year marks start of weighted grades

By: Michael Wang <[email protected]>

• Summer school courses taken in 2007 will have added weight
  • The school board did not approve to weight grades retroactively, so colleges will see an official GPA and an unofficial GPA on transcripts
  • The unofficial GPA states what the GPA would be if grades were weighted all throughout the student’s high school career
  • An addendum will be attached to all transcripts explaining two GPAs because of the introduction of the weighted grade system
  • There will no longer be class rank
  • Titles will no longer exist like valedictorian or salutatorian
  • If colleges ask for rank, the standard statement is that this school does not rank its students
  • Graduation speakers will be the class president, the distinguished graduate, and one other speaker
  • Concerning whether colleges consider weighted grades or unweighted grades more, it varies by college. Most college admission officers just look at what the school provides
  • The High Expectations committee, led by Linda Thompson looked at research to determine if weighted grades would encourage students to take more rigorous courses. There has been an increase in enrollments in some AP courses.
  • AP Biology had three classes last year and will have four this year
  • AP Environmental Science had one class last year and four this year
  • AP European History had five classes last year and eleven this year
  • Courses receiving extra weight will have a notation on them on student transcripts so that they can be easily identified as being eligible for added weight.
View Comments (1)
$20
$500

• E

E Byrne - Class of '87Sep 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Wow, I was reading some old HiLite entries and am surprised in how much Carmel High School has changed in 20+ years.
    The way the school is organized is so different from when I was going there. To see weighted grades, lack of titles, changes in schedule (like blue and gold days), even the way the administration interacts with students is a surprise.
    It really makes me feel like things were primitive and teaching was much more brutal back then. Is it that I feel current students are pampered and success can now be measured in much looser ways?
    It is hard to say. Anyway, hope it all works.

Reply