Senate organizes March Madness activities, spring blood drive

Senate members listen to student body president George Gemelas during a meeting at the beginning of SRT. According to Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz, Senators are now organizing March Madness activities and the spring blood drive. HAFSA RAZI / PHOTO

Senate members are currently organizing a bracket challenge and trivia competition for March Madness, as well as the spring blood drive, according to Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz.

On March 17, Senate members collected brackets for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) men’s basketball tournament from SRTs, according to Andy Dugan, chair of the Senate March Madness committee and senior. As the tournament goes on, Senate members will grade each SRT’s bracket. The SRT whose bracket is closest to the results of the actual tournament will win a pizza party.

Additionally, Dugan said, Senate members are carrying out a trivia competition, in which they ask an NCAA basketball trivia question over the morning announcements and have SRTs email in their answers. The first five SRTs who send in correct answers gain extra points toward the bracket challenge. The winner of the bracket challenge will be announced after spring break.

According to Dugan, the Senate has the right resources to coordinate a school-wide event like this.

“It’s important for us to host something like (the bracket challenge) so that everything’s organized and can be done efficiently,” Dugan said.

In addition to the March Madness activities, Foutz said, Senate members are coordinating the spring blood drive, which will occur on April 24. Students who want to participate should sign up by March 28 during lunches. Donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and not participate in a spring sport. Students who are exactly 16 years old have to bring a parental consent form with them to the blood drive.

According to Foutz, this is the largest high school blood drive in the area. The Indiana Blood Center will collect the donations and distribute them to local hospitals, including the Riley Hospital for Children.