Extended schedule action implemented, a new turf proposal granted

Junior Sherry Yang works on homework in class. According to Yang, the new extended schedule takes time away from activities and reduces the amount of time students can spend on homework. ERIC HE / PHOTO

According to Superintendent Nicholas Wahl, Carmel Clay Schools has successfully implemented the new extended schedule days.

Wahl said, “The extended schedule has done what it is supposed to, and other than that it has been business as usual.”

Junior Sherry Yang said there are consequences to the new schedule.

“Twenty minutes doesn’t seem like a lot. But in the scheme of things for a regular junior’s day it’s a huge difference. Tennis practice ends at 6, so by the time I get home, eat and shower it’s already 7. There’s not a lot of time to get homework done by then,” Yang said.

In addition, Wahl said this school will replace the football stadium turf as well as installing turf on all soccer fields.

“We put together the bid specifications to replace the turf part of the stadium since the infrastructure is already there. For the other fields we need to add both infrastructure and turf,” Wahl said.

Wahl said the process to replace the turf follows that of other projects.

Wahl said, “Companies will look at the specifications and say, ‘here’s my bid submittal’. We then see if the companies have met the specifications, and then the recommendation will be made to the board for the company that meets the specifications and can do the job based upon the price they gave. We accepted SPRINTURF’s bid, and the project will begin this spring and summer.”

They will do it around (student athletes’ schedules), so it will not affect any spring sports.

According to Yang, the new turf is not completely necessary.

“I don’t think it’s necessary because I think funds like that could be used towards more education-oriented things,” Yang said. “I understand it because I know this school is very sports-oriented, but at the same time I don’t really agree with it.”