Performing arts department to begin band room renovations

Sophomore Makela Kaopuiki plays the clarinet during band class. Director of bands Michael Pote said renovations will take place in the band room this summer. JASMINE LAM / PHOTO

In order to accommodate the various band equipment and constant increase of students who participate in band, the CHS band room and percussion storage room are scheduled to undergo renovations this summer. Although director of bands Michael Pote is not completely sure what the exact dates for the renovations are, he said the installation process should take approximately a month to complete. Pote said these renovations are essential for the band instructors and students because they will acquire more space and opportunities to rehearse and perform extracurricular activities, such as marching band, color guard and jazz band.

Currently, rehearsals and meets for the concert bands and extracurricular activities are restricted to the current set-up and capacity. As a result, most practices for marching band and color guard often take place outside on the stadium parking lot.

“Color guard can’t use (the band room) because of the tiers since they’ll break their ankles while dancing,” Pote said. “Then, (the band teachers) will like to be able to turn the concert bands to different directions, but obviously we can’t do that since the tiers are there.”

Band members practice on the tiers of the band room. According to director of bands Michael Pote, these tiers will be removed this summer. ALEX YOM / PHOTO

As a result, Pote has requested for the removal of the room’s tiers and ramp along with the expansion of the percussion storage room for five years now. Even though principal John Williams has approved this idea, the school board has not granted the funds and permission to proceed with the installations until now.

Despite receiving the grant after five years, he said he continues to look forward to the renovations because the band teachers
and students will be able to replace their current carpeting and tiers with a concrete platform. In doing so, the band instructors and students will have more chances to reorganize the room to meet their needs.

“Right now, the way it is designed will only allow you to set up things in a certain way,” he said. “After this summer, we’ll have more opportScreen Shot 2014-05-20 at 12.13.59 PMunities. It’ll be a change, and it’ll be nice.”

Makela Kaopuiki, band member and sophomore, said she agrees because her rehearsals with the rest of the marching band members require a substantial amount of room due to the number of participants. With the remodeling, she said practicing and performing would not be as complicated.

“(Remodeling will) allow the room to be easier for practices, and it serves for multiple purposes so it’ll be really cool,”  Kaopuiki said.

According to Pote, the band instructors plan to rearrange the room and host many of the band’s extracurricular activities within the band room more often once the renovations are installed.