Q&A with speaker of the House Henry Curts

Why did you decide to run for speaker of the House?

I decided to run because I’ve been a two-year Cabinet member, one-year House member, and I am very passionate about what we do in the room, service to others, and especially to Riley Children’s Hospital because I am a Riley kid, so I am very passionate about giving back after what they have given me.

What does being selected as SOH mean to you?

It means a lot because I think it gives me a good opportunity to do all that I can do for another cause and it just opens the door to a lot of service opportunities and extra things that I can do to help out Riley Children’s Hospital as well as a lot of other places.

What do you hope to accomplish as SOH this year?

I just hope to obviously make student government stronger, but also, one of my personal goals as speaker of the House is to reach out to non-student-government members to get more involved because although our House is over 500 kids, which that is a lot of kids, that’s only a fraction of the whole school. There’s tons of kids who I think could get involved, and by doing that, we could obviously provide service but also make the school closer together and make it a better place. I think that, going with House, we could raise the expectations a little bit because being a House member isn’t easy, and it takes up a lot of time, but I think a lot of the House members want to strive to do more, and understandably so. So I think giving them more opportunities and maybe lighting the fire to try to get them to do more and do all they can.

What are some things you plan to do differently this year?

The one thing that I want to be different is that I reach out more to non-student-government kids. When we’re running events, when we’re planning stuff, get input from not only House and Cabinet, but kids who aren’t as involved and might want to get involved.

What do you anticipate about this year?

I think next year, I am very excited because I think we have a really good group of kids in student government and the whole school for that matter. We have a lot of kids who are passionate about a lot of things and kids who want to do more and provide service and get involved, and I think we have a really good Senior Class who will be great leaders for the rest of school, and I’m very excited to see that.

What is something you’d like to let the student body know about you?

Although I might be speaker of the House, which is a big position, I’m an easygoing guy; I think I’m an approachable guy. You can come to me for stuff, and I’ll listen. Any ideas for events, stuff like that, well, we have an open door coming with us now.

Click here to read the Q&A with student body president Bobby Greaser.