Mandatory AP meeting set for SRT on April 20

By Susie Chen

On April 20, students who will take AP exams in May must attend the AP preregistration meeting during SRT.

According to counselor Mary Lou Curless, students will fill out their information on test packets. This is in order to save time before each exam.

This year, around 900 students are registered to take at least one AP exam; more than 1,665 tests will be taken during testing week, which Curless said is about 300 more than last year.

Curless said it is important for students to show up for the preregistration. “We understand that many times during SRT, there are many activities that take place,” she said. However, she said students who don’t attend could cause problems for the counselors.

For those students taking AP science and math exams, there is the question of whether or not the state will continue to pay for their tests or whether the $8 fee will be terminated and students will have to pay the full price. Curless said the school will find out from the state on May 1 whether or not the $8 fee will remain.

Senior James Sun, who will take two AP math and science exams, BC Calculus and Chemistry, said he thinks the state should definitely keep paying for the exams. He said, “It encourages AP students to attempt to take the exam, instead of being unconfident and skipping out on it because of the money.”