HOMECOMING CHILL VS. THRILL: HOMECOMING SPECTRUM

SPIRITED: Wang remains clueless while Greaser demonstrates excitement for Homecoming. The two are the true contrast between the Grinch and the Real John Williams.

Freshman David Wang is the epitome of unexcited for this event while Student Body President Bobby Greaser is Homecoming-ready.

What do you know about Homecoming week?

David: I know close to nothing. I’ve heard it’s a really popular activity here at the high school. Barely any of my friends have mentioned anything about Homecoming week. What I heard from my GKOMs is that Homecoming week is a timespan of multiple activities and the dance is one thing; that’s basically all I know.

How excited are you for Homecoming festivities?

David: I’m not excited about Homecoming because I think it’s a waste of time. I would rather play video games and study. It’s because I’m ignorant, and I don’t really know what Homecoming is really about. Also, I’m not really excited for Homecoming festivities because no one really mentions them to me. I’m not really interested. I would rather attend church activities and hang out with my friends. I mainly won’t be participating because I don’t really know what Homecoming is all about.

What have you done to get involved in Homecoming?

David: Not really anything. I don’t plan on do much either. I don’t think any activities at Homecoming really catch my attention. I think that a sporting event would catch my interest more. Stuff like  basketball or tennis would be fun, anything really that would just push away from all this peppy school stuff. It doesn’t really matter to me. Some of my teachers have mentioned the dance and festivities. The teachers said that it would be a cool experience and that a lot of your friends would be there. Some of my GKOMs said stuff about the things going on during the week, but I don’t really remember anything.

What do you know about Homecoming week?

Bobby: Homecoming week is the predominant spirit week at CHS. I mean no other week at Carmel can really compare to Homecoming week. Every day is a different spirit day. For all the freshmen out there, we have the Leg King and Kiss Queen. Leg King is from the senior guys who nominate people and students during lunch vote for their favorite pair of legs while for Kiss Queen, senior girls put on some lipstick and kiss a piece of paper and students would vote the same way. Also, there are the trike races, which are a CHS tradition. Students get a team of four and think of a theme or team idea that would make them stand out at the races. Also, there are prizes for the most unique teams if you aren’t an athletic person. I hope that students really get into all of the activities that are planned for Homecoming week.

Bobby: How could you not be excited? To me, it’s the best week at Carmel High School because the entire school comes together that week. Especially on Homecoming day itself, that green day gets me really excited. It’s something that you only experience once a year, those 25 minute classes, the drum lines—my personal favorite part of Homecoming day, and the huge all-school convocation at the stadium. The green day is the mixture of the blue and gold days, which means that you have all your classes in the same day. Homecoming day is by far the most unique day of the year. That night is also the night of the homecoming game, which is a great event that all students should go to.

Bobby: Well, as Student Body President, the Senate focuses more on spirit week and court relations. Court relations are the nominations for Homecoming court; each grade gets to vote two girls, but the seniors get to nominate five and a Homecoming queen. Also we (Senate) have been trying to get convertibles for the Homecoming parade, because you can’t have a Homecoming parade without convertibles.