Students must take precautions with valuables

By: HiLite Staff

Carmel is one of the safer areas in the county, if not in the state or possibly country. There’s a handy police force patrolling the streets and neighborhoods around the clock, officers in school in case of emergencies and what seems to be a peaceful and safe place to live any time of day. However, these realities can lull students into a false sense of security, and while Carmel High School still remains safe, students should still think twice before leaving valuables out in the open for anyone to snag, and should take precautions to prevent theft as well.

In the past few years, with iPods, cell phones and other valuable items becoming more portable and more expensive than ever, they have become one of the many targets of thefts throughout the school. It is certainly not a bad quality at all that Carmel students generally consider themselves safe enough to bring those items to a school so big, but the growing relevance of those items raise the possibility that those items could be stolen. Every time anything is left by itself, there is a possibility that anyone could just walk by and take it without anyone noticing until it is too late.

Certainly, this school does what it can to deter crime in all areas. Cameras hang around almost every corner, if not each corner, and hallway. But the cameras could be considered one of the culprits to the sense of security that students have. Cameras do not catch everything, and they sure can’t stop a crime or theft from happening. There are also no cameras in bathrooms, locker rooms, or classrooms either. While cameras can certainly help to identify and catch thieves, students should still do what they can to prevent those thefts from happening in the first place.

Overall, this school is generally extremely safe. The so-called “Carmel bubble” does, in fact, exist. Being in the “bubble” is better than having to go to school every day worrying about whether someone will get in a fight or having to wonder what will disappear. But even with the relative safety that this school provides, there are still people who are willing to risk their futures by stealing something to earn some easy money or to keep what they stole.

Students, therefore, should take precautions to keep their valuables safe. Keep them in your locker, and be careful if you share a locker; you never know who might open it. If you leave items in classrooms for lunch, make sure the teacher will stay behind or will lock the room until you return. Or, better yet, keep your valuables with you at all times to prevent others from stealing them if they are lying around somewhere. But even with all of the solutions above, the safest solution of all is still just to keep your valuables at home, even if that means a half-hour in class with no iPod to listen to or a few minutes before or after school without a text message or phone call.