CHS teachers to begin class recommendations

Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller works at his desk in 2011. Schaller said that teacher recommendations for next years classes has already begun. JULIE XU / FILE PHOTO
Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller works at his desk in 2011. Schaller said that teacher recommendations for next year’s classes has already begun. JULIE XU / FILE PHOTO

CHS teachers have begun the process of recommending classes to their students in order to have an idea for the kinds of classes they will take next year. According to Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller, these class recommendations are only the beginning of an extensive process to assign classes to students.

Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller works at his desk in 2011. Schaller said that teacher recommendations for next year's classes has already begun. JULIE XU / FILE PHOTO

Schaller said the process of recommendations is in itself fairly simple.

“The teachers look at the progress of the students,” he said. “If they are doing well they can recommend honors courses. Students that struggle might be directed to certain courses that might be at their level. We’re trying to match (the students) up with courses that meet them at their level.” Schaller also said that scheduling does not end with recommendations.

“It’ll take a month or more for all of the students to look through the program of studies and make their course requests. Then we take all that information and we compile it over a month or so to then work on our staffing needs and then we start the actual staffing process,” Schaller said. According to Schaller, by the time that process is over, it is usually in the middle of the month of May.

Typically, student schedules are not complete until the end of June and even then, there are more items to address such as future new courses. With all that goes on, the process of scheduling never seems to end.

However, Schaller does not shoulder the entire weight of scheduling on his shoulders. He and guidance counselor Linda Skafish both assist in making sure that only certain people see certain parts.

“There’s always something going on with the scheduling,” Schaller said.