New clubs start in the 2014-2015 school year

outube Club member and freshman Justin Park films an umbrella fight video with fellow Youtube Club members. Every week, the members brainstorm a topic and film a video that they will upload. SWETHA NAKSHATRI / PHOTO
Club members do yoga during a meeting. Sponsor Anna Kaiser said she hopes the yoga will be an outlet for students who feel stress from schoolwork. NAKSHATRI / PHOTO
Katie Kelly, National History Day Club sponsor and history teacher, explains the process of submitting a project for National History Day. This year's theme is Leadership and Legacy in History and the national competition takes place from June 14 to June 18. SWETHA NAKSHATRI / PHOTO
Katie Kelly, National History Day Club sponsor and history teacher, explains the process of submitting a project for National History Day. This year’s theme is Leadership and Legacy in History. SWETHA NAKSHATRI / PHOTO

Yoga Club

President: Senior Lexi Tokarski

Sponsor: Communications teacher Anna Kaiser

When: “We try to meet every Thursday. In November, that schedule might change a little bit. Sometimes the day changes if I have a meeting or if Ms. Beeson has a meeting, but we try to meet on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 (p.m.),” Kaiser said.

Where: C141. “We actually do yoga in the CHTV studio,” Kaiser said.

What It Is: “Well, we do yoga. But really, we want this to be an outlet for students who maybe feel stress from school, or from work, or from balancing all these things. They can come here, we dim the lights, and we just kind of relax. We focus on our breathing, and at the end we have a little bit of time to meditate and just really clear our heads and our minds and just be a place where you don’t have to come and worry about school, or all your responsibilities,” Kaiser said. “Kristin Beeson—she’s an English teacher—she is the one that instructs it (yoga), but I am the actual sponsor of it (Yoga Club). “

Why It Began: “. . .We also want it to be a place where people—and this is going to sound maybe silly—feel happy, and they can come with their friends or they can meet new people here. And it’s really about leaving feeling refreshed, reenergized and happy. No negative thoughts, just a lot of positivity and just feel better when you leave. I always do,” Kaiser said.

Current Events: “ We don’t have a lot of current events. We just meet, do yoga and socialize at the end. Other than that, we don’t really have any events. It’s just kind of here at the school once a week,” Kaiser said.

Future Plans: “We’re just going to hopefully keep meeting, and if it gets warmer in the spring, we might even hold some of our sessions outside. . .just really being a club where we can meet and have consistency” Kaiser said.

National History Day Club

President: Sophomore Sitha Vallabhaneni

Vice President: Sophomore Jackson Holforty

Officer: Sophomore Veeda Scammahorn

Sponsor: Social studies teacher Katie Kelly

When: One or two Wednesdays a month

Where: Room H206

What It Is: National History Day Club meets to prepare projects for the National History Day competition. “A couple of years ago, another teacher, Mr. Elrite, and I, we decided to bring this national competition called National History Day to our classroom here at the high school, and over the years, it’s become a bigger program, and students have really expressed interest in being able to not just do the project once as a freshman, but to continue on and take what they’ve learned into their sophomore or junior or senior years so that they could create better and better projects,” Kelly said.

Why It Began: “This year, I had a group of sophomores who really wanted to continue on with the work they had done last year, and I was more than happy to help them. I’m also going to be on maternity leave for part of the year, so I’m not able to do the project at all in my classes so I was hoping to help some students get started who already kind of know what they’re doing a little bit,” Kelly said.

Current Events: “Currently, with National History Day Club, they are writing their thesis statements for their projects. The theme for this year’s projects is ‘Leadership and Legacy and History,’ and so what they are doing is coming up with a topic that they can either use and make a documentary, a performance, a paper, an exhibit, or a website. And so right now they’re working on developing their thesis statements, doing research and starting their projects,” Kelly said.

Future Plans: “We’re hoping that in the spring we’ll be taking a field trip to the Indiana Historical Society, so that we can do more research and they can take a look at the exhibits at the Indiana Historical Society and hopefully the Indiana State Museum, to get an idea of how to create a great historical exhibit and how to tell a good historical story,” Kelly said.

Youtube Club

President: Junior Miles Minnaar

When: Every Tuesday until 3:45 p.m.

Where: C141

What It Is: “Our club—we pretty much just have a good time. We make short videos, and then we’ll share them. It’s really relaxed, we try not to have too high of standards, it’s all just kind of to come out, get together and have a good time. In one club meeting, we’ll first do a role call, see who’s come out, and then I’ll either give out video ideas or contests that people can enter (in), and then we’ll either plan or shoot videos that we’ll present at the next meeting,” Minnaar said.

Why It Began: “I created YouTube Club just because I thought it would be a good experience for me and other people. I really wanted to spread what I liked to do and see if I could find other people who like what I do,” Minnaar said.

Current Events: “ . . .We’ll be doing our first video showcase, so that’ll be good, and that’s about it for now. We’ll see where it goes from there,” Minnaar said.