Counselors to schedule senior year for juniors, hold college research meeting

Counselor+Emily+Clark+reviews+the+programming+for+Finding+Your+College+Fit%2C+a+meeting+that+will+take+place+during+SRT+for+juniors+to+find+out+the+best+college+for+them.+The+meetings+will+take+place+on+Jan.+30+and+Feb.+13+and+24.+NAOMI+REIBOLD+%2F+PHOTO+
Counselor Emily Clark reviews the programming for “Finding Your College Fit,” a meeting that will take place during SRT for juniors to find out the best college for them. The meetings will take place on Jan. 30 and Feb. 13 and 24. NAOMI REIBOLD / PHOTO

Counselors are busy preparing for juniors to schedule their senior year, according to counselor Emily Clark. They are also organizing a meeting called “Finding Your College Fit” during SRT on Jan. 30 and Feb. 13 and 24.

Counselor Emily Clark reviews the programming for "Finding Your College Fit," a meeting that will take place during SRT for juniors to find out the best college for them. The meetings will take place on Jan. 30 and Feb. 13 and 24. NAOMI REIBOLD / PHOTO

According to Clark, juniors are expected to plan their schedules online. Individual meetings with counselors began Jan. 21 to discuss them. Clark said she encourages students to take the same level of classes they’ve been taking throughout high school.

“Senior grades and senior schedule(s) are important. You know colleges look at it. I always make sure to talk to them about taking classes geared towards what they want to do or what they think they want to do. If they’ve had a rigorous schedule up to now, they need to keep that or else it’s a red flag to colleges, but realistic rigor,” Clark said.

Junior Gretchen Gregor said she will continue with the same rigor as Clark has advised, however she said she will balance it out.

“I think it’s important too take rigorous classes; however, I believe students can relieve their schedules slightly as they finish their high school career,” Gregor said.

Additionally, to prepare for after senior year, there will be meetings called “Finding Your College Fit” for juniors only. Led by Melinda Stephan, College and Career Resource Center programming coordinator, juniors will have the opportunity to figure out their college fit and identity, as well as give resources for how to research different colleges.

“I hope a lot of kids come, it will be good (for them),” Clark said.

According to Gregor, she has done enough college research on her own and feels prepared enough not to go to the meeting; but she does believe the meetings can be beneficial to other juniors.

Gregor said, “I think it’s helpful for students who haven’t started the process yet and don’t know where to begin.”