Chess Club practices for state competition

Eric Zhu, Chess Club member and freshman, plays using the “bughouse” against club members and sophomores Caleb Smith and Brett Khalow. According to Zhu, the “bousehouse” is a partnered game where club members can learn from other members about tactics and playing speed.

According to Sam Philleo, Chess Club co-president and sophomore, there is no chess club Jan. 19 in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. day. Sponsor Margaret Winans said the next Chess Club meeting will be on Jan. 26 in Room F103 after school. The club meets every Monday after school until 4 p.m., where late bus passes are provided.

Co-president Allen Zhang plays recreationally against his friends in Chess Club. Freshman Eric Zhu and sophomores Caleb Smith and Brett Khalow participate in a new activity in chess club: the “bughouse.” According to Khalow, it is a partnered chess game in which club members can analyze each other’s moves and playing speed.

The club has added additional practice methods in preparation for its state competition on March 21.

“Something new we’ve added to the club is the “bughouse,” which is partner chess to analyze each other’s games, playing speed and just to prepare for state. We’re hoping to win again, making it the fourth straight championship for CHS,” Philleo said.

Regardless of experience in chess, everyone is encouraged to attend. Club members will play for both competition and recreation, learning new chess skills from other members as well.

On Jan. 24 are the individual state championships, according to Philleo.

“In addition to myself, another fellow chess club member will represent CHS as we play for the individual’s state champion title,” Philleo said.