Kids’ Corner prepares for preschoolers’ quickly approaching arrival

Grace Curdes, former student teacher of Kids’ Corner and senior, reads a book. Curdes said it is important for current Kids’ Corner members to be creative when planning their activities for the preschoolers. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO

Members of Kids’ Corner are finalizing their preparations for the preschoolers’ arrival. Kids’ Corner director Kimberly Lenzo said the preschoolers will arrive on March 2.

According to Lenzo, the students have been working on many resources, such as prop boxes, book props and bulletin boards, in addition to ordering resources and writing lessons for the preschoolers. The students have also chosen the themes for each of the weeks: Farm, The Great Outdoors, Under the Big Top, Beach, Bugs and Butterflies, Zoo, Mad Scientist, Young Chef, Summer and Community Heroes.

Lenzo said the students in Kids’ Corner have planned lessons for a variety of subjects that include math, science and art; the students will make sure their resources are ready for the preschoolers’ arrival.

Grace Curdes, former student teacher for Kids’ Corner and senior, provided some suggestions for the final week before the arrival.

“It’s important to definitely follow the teacher’s directions and stuff, but it’s even more important to be creative and try and find activities that spark (the preschoolers’) interests ‘cause that’s always (what) they really care about,” Curdes said. “And it’s definitely important to plan ahead and get your work done because everything runs a lot more smoothly during the day when you’re working with the kids and teaching them lessons.”

Lenzo said she is excited for the preschoolers’ arrival. “I am looking forward to the preschoolers starting again. I have missed them,” Lenzo said via email. “I think that this group of high school students have great ideas, and I think they will do a great job.”