Carpeted floors to be replaced with terrazzo

Sophomore Sam Philleo finishes an assignment in an E Room computer lab. The E hallways will have their carpeting replaced with terrazzo prior to the start of next school year.

According to Principal John Williams, much of the carpeting throughout the school will be converted into terrazzo, a composite material composed of glass, granite, quartz and marble. Although the official date of completion has yet to be announced, the renovation is expected to occur during the summer and finish prior to the start of next year.

While terrazzo costs more than regular carpeting, the maintenance is much simpler, and the aesthetic durability of terrazzo lasts much longer than that of regular carpeting. According to Williams, while much of the school already features terrazzo, much of the carpeting found in places such as the E hallways will be renovated. Classrooms, however, will keep carpeting.

According to sophomore Sam Philleo, the introduction of more terrazzo flooring will have both good and bad consequences. “It’s going to look a lot nicer,” he said. “But it’s going to a lot more slippery when we have snow.”

For more info on the Buildings and Grounds, click here.