Superintendent to receive draft of strategic planning results by end of April

Matthew Keene, Senate member and senior, studies from his economics textbook during a break in AP English Language and Composition class. Keene said incorporating technology into school would have the benefit of enabling students to use technology responsibly. MATTHEW DEL BUSTO / PHOTO

According to Superintendent Nicholas Wahl, the schoolboard will receive a draft of the strategic plan and accompanying research document by the end of April. He said on May 11, ECRA (Education, Consulting, Research, Analytics) will facilitate a work session with the school board to review the findings and finalize the strategic plan. Wahl said via email that the strategic plan will include a common vision for the district and identify the strategic initiatives for the future of Carmel Clay Schools.

As far as funding challenges go, Wahl said he is continuing to meet with legislators to “foster relationships and discuss critical topics, such as HB1001 (House Bill 1001) and the value of public schools.”

Wahl said he is hopeful that there is an emphasis on what to strategically with digital learning and how to manage resources given funding challengers.

Matthew Keene, Senate member and senior, said incorporating technology into school has some benefits, such as learning to use technological devices responsibly.

“I mentor elementary school kids and I’ve noticed that when I’m visiting the schools that they have their phones out a lot and they’ll be doing stuff with technology a lot more and I think it definitely benefits the younger kids,” Keene said.

However, he said that the use of technology does have drawbacks.

“I think it really continues to plug us further into technology at a level we don’t want to be because I think there’s some things that really require paper and pen. Not everything should be revolved around technology so we should definitely learn how to use it effectively to advance our learning, but it shouldn’t be at the center of everything.

“At this point, it does appear that a referendum will be inevitable in 2017. Even with the current proposed changes to the funding formula in HB1001, Carmel Clay Schools will not be receiving adequate funding to sustain the current level of student programs and prevent our district from having to ask for a referendum,” Wahl said.

Additionally, Wahl said the counseling/social services program is undergoing a program evaluation which allows the staff to reflect “on how we are doing and how we can continue to improve on ways to meet the needs of our students.”