Chess Club prepares for next year

Chess+Club+memebers%2C+junior+Mikel+Frausto+and+sophomore+Caleb+Smith%2C+play+two-on-two+chess+together.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+really+going+to+miss+the+club+and+how+we+can+all+come+in+to+just+play+chess%2C%E2%80%9D+Frausto+said.++
Chess Club memebers, junior Mikel Frausto and sophomore Caleb Smith, play two-on-two chess together. “I’m really going to miss the club and how we can all come in to just play chess,” Frausto said.

According to Joe Philleo, Chess Club co-president and junior, the meeting on April 27 will be the last meeting of the year. At their last meeting, Chess Club will try to get additional funds for chess clocks and better chessboards.

The club already has plans for next year, sponsor Margaret Winans said. “The club wants just more member engagement.”

According to Kevin Mi, Chess Club co-president and senior, now that State is over, the club can now move on to thinking about next year.

“We want to actively recruit new freshmen,” Philleo said. “The goal of Chess Club isn’t always winning at State. It’s to spread how fun chess is.”

Despite the fact that there are no Chess Club T-shirts this year, Philleo said they plan to have them available next year to everyone, not just members of the club.

The club hosted a booth at “Frosh Rock.” It was well-received by freshman,” Mi said.

Mi, who is a senior, will be leaving for college next year and will no longer be part of the club. “I really enjoyed being a part of this club. The highlight was definitely winning State. That is definitely exciting. We weren’t sure we were doing it this year, but it all worked out in the end and we are very pleased with the results. Chess Club isn’t just fun. It helps build character and leadership. I’ll definitely come back to visit,” Mi said.

For more about Chess Club, click here.