Keep Calm and Enter the ’80s

“Just keep swimming.” – Dory, “Finding Nemo”

As finals week looms before us, one of the most important things for all of us to do is relax. There are times when we all need to take a breather, and there is no better way to do that than recline on one’s bed and watch a movie. So I have prepared a short list of ‘80s movies to remove oneself from reality and enter the idyllic world of high school in the ’80s.

WIKIMEDIA.ORG // SOURCE
WIKIMEDIA.ORG // SOURCE

1. “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” (1986)

Of course, how could a person leave out one of the most famous high school movie classics? Starring Matthew Broderick (“The Lion King,” “Godzilla”) as Ferris Bueller, this movie has it all: interesting, engaging characters, comical situations and enduring life lessons. The film follows three teens as they prank their way out of school and drive to Chicago for a day of fun. Sounds like the perfect movie for anyone who wishes to vicariously play hooky and avoid all responsibility.

WIKIPEDIA.ORG // SOURCE
WIKIPEDIA.ORG // SOURCE

1.   “The Breakfast Club” (1985)

If you haven’t already watched this movie, then you have probably skipped more days of school than you’re proud to admit since at least one of your teachers will play this film in class. In the movie, five students are all stuck in detention together and eventually their miserable time in the school library turns into a cathartic therapy session. Starring Judd Nelson as John Bender and Molly Ringwald as Claire Standish, this movie is a fine choice for any of you who are feeling angsty, rebellious and frustrated.

*Note: This movie is rated R.

IMDB.COM // SOURCE
IMDB.COM // SOURCE

1.   “Heathers” (1988)

For anyone in the mood for the darker things in life, check out “Heathers,” starring Winona Ryder (“Beetlejuice,” “Edward Scissorhands”) as Veronica Sawyer and Christian Slater (“Interview with the Vampire”) as J.D. This movie is a classic, known for its dark humor and less-than-pleasant plotline, as death and destruction take over the school. Though not recommended for daily viewing, sometimes, in lieu of destroying something yourself, watching others perform destruction is just as entertaining and satisfying.

*Note: This movie is rated R.

WIKIMEDIA.ORG // SOURCE
WIKIMEDIA.ORG // SOURCE

1. “Sixteen Candles” (1984)

This film is for the inner teenage girl in all of us. Starring Molly Ringwald (again!), the movie follows soon-to-be-16-year-old Samantha (Ringwald), whose whole family has forgotten about her sixteenth birthday. Filled with the ups and downs of stereotypical adolescence, from older boy crushes to the perfect dress, this movie takes us back to the days when we all thought high school would be dominated by drama with crushes, fitting in and looking one’s best. Ah, the magic of being 16.

Even if you don’t watch any of the movies on this list–or any movie at all–remember to take a break. Good luck on your finals!

“May the Force be with you.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi, “Star Wars Episode II:  Attack of the Clones”

–Ellen