Design for CHS begins interactive program to encourage students to recycle during lunchtime

A new and interactive recycling project called “Agent Recycle,” created by Design for CHS, will make its debut this year.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 9.49.02 AM copyThe goal of this project is to encourage students to recycle by voting with their recyclable items.
The system will work by having a board displaying a question with two options. Students can throw their recyclable items into containers with their favorite option between the two. For example, one possible question is, “Who is the better football player?” with different players on different bins.

“There’s a lot of people who throw away their plastic bottles especially in cafeterias,” Max Jolly, Design for CHS, “Agent Recycle” committee member and senior, said. “We want to cut down on that so we recycle more.”

Jolly, along with seniors Kamna Gupta and Naheel Khatri, are the three members of the “Agent Recycle” Committee. They said they have been working on it for the past three meetings the club has had.

“It has been a month since we started on this,” Gupta said, “but it most definitely does not feel like a month because of our weekly meetings; it feels much shorter.”

The “Agent Recycle” bins will be implemented during the first few months of second semester; however, exact times and dates are to be announced.

According to Jolly, the process of putting “Agent Recycle” into effect is a slower process than one would think. Design for CHS must notify administrators and the CHS Environmental Club about the project to check for discrepancies, tell the janitors about the whereabouts and functions of the bins and finally complete the construction of the newly designed recycling bins.

“I think (Agent Recycle) is a great idea,” Design for CHS sponsor Jan Mitchener said. “It gets people motivated to recycle as well as make it a fun question for them to respond to.”