YOUR SOURCE FOR CHS NEWS

The (Possible) Cure to Post-Finals Sadness

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM // SOURCE

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM // SOURCE

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM // SOURCE

blogs

Bummed out after getting your scores back from finals week? Scared for your GPA after a murderous math multiple choice? Knew nothing on that history test? Never fear, your cure to post-finals sadness movie is here! Feel better in three simple steps. (Bonus: It goes well with the holidays too, so it’s a great watch over winter break.)

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM // SOURCE

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM // SOURCE

Step 1: Obtain “It’s a Wonderful Life”

Step 2: Watch

Step 3: Feel better about your life!

(Disclaimer: possible spoilers!)

When I first watched “It’s a Wonderful Life,” I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had heard it was a life-changing film, but then I thought, “Well, it’s also a Christmas film. Probably cheesy.” I watched it anyway. I have to say, it was a good way to spend 130 minutes of my life.

“It’s a Wonderful Life” stars James Stewart as George Bailey, a man who has lost all hope in his life. George is what you would call a truly good person. He’s trustworthy, selfless and kind. He puts everybody else above himself.

The problem is, he’s terribly unhappy. He’s sacrificed so much to help other people, but everything he’s worked for seems to be crumbling to dust.

Just as George loses all hope, his guardian angel Clarence shows him what a profound impact he has made on his hometown of Bedford Falls and the lives of people around him. He asks the question, “What if you had never been born?” The whole town would have been a whole lot worse off, that’s for sure. After seeing what a positive impact he had on his friends, family and fellow townspeople, George realizes his life isn’t so bad after all.

Sure, it’s cheesy, but it gets the point across: “No man is a failure who has friends.”

So how does this relate to post-finals sadness? If you’re sad about knowing nothing on the test, “It’s a Wonderful Life” will make you realize, “Hey, my life isn’t over.” This resonates with students because oftentimes we, just like George, will let the negatives in our lives overwhelm the positives. If there’s one lesson to learn from George Bailey, it’s that if you ever feel like a failure (for example, if you think you failed a final), don’t give up. Look at all the good things you’ve done and all the good things that have happened to you and you may say to yourself, just as Clarence said to George, “You see, you’ve really had a wonderful life.”