Aiding Understanding. The annual AIDS convocation overdramatizes the dangers of sex and STDs

Sex is one of the most controversial and awkward topics in both schools and the real world. However, fear is not the way to inform students about sex and disease.

To that end, the AIDS convocation has become less effective in its ability to inform students, who now find the event simply as a way to count how many times a male specialist can say the word “lesions.” Students, in increasing numbers, have taken videos and posted numerous times about this tactic all over social media. Instead of teaching students safe sex practices and how to properly handle sexual situations, the convocation scares students into abstinence or no relationship at all.

Certainly the point is valid: if a student does participate in unprotected sex with an individual who carries a life-threatening virus, there is a high chance of spreading the illness if the student isn’t aware of preventative measures that could be taken. However, heavy-handed presentations often have an unintended consequence. They can make students scared to talk to their parents, peers and doctors about important sexual issues.

For the AIDS convocation, a professional comes into the school and presents an hour-and-a-half lecture to students who are either silently giggling or terrified for their lives that if they participate in a natural human activity, they will get a disease and die. During the convocation, the professional lectures using numbers and statistics that repeatedly emphasize the risk of death from sexual activity. The takeaway for students? Not to “be careful” or “practice responsibly.” Rather, the message equates sex with nothing but negative consequences.

My point in all of this isn’t to insult the professional who has taken his time to lecture thousands of students every year. Again, sex education is always important especially if it involves preventing students from getting infected. But instead of fear tactics, school officials should consider a more positive convocation regarding how to be safe and responsible in sexual relations.
Some students are going to have sex whether or not their teachers, parents or doctors like it. So if students choose to engage in this activity, it is better for them to have a less fearful understanding of how to be safe and protect themselves from these illnesses and bacterias that can be life-threatening.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the HiLite staff. Reach Gabby Perelmuter at [email protected].