CHS students, teacher to escort veterans to war memorials in Washington, D.C. on April 23

CHS students, teacher to escort veterans  to war memorials in Washington, D.C. on April 23

On Saturday, three juniors in IB History of the Americas will accompany veterans as guardians to visit Washington, D.C. The veterans range from World War II to the Vietnam and Korean Wars.

Indy Honor Flight is an organization that honors veterans by sending them to the World War II monuments in Washington, D.C for a day. However, since not many veterans remain from World War II, Indy Honor Flight extended this event to Vietnam and Korean War veterans.

Guardian and junior Mitchell Adzema said, “(Indy Honor Flight) is a good way to instill that appreciation for everyone who did kind of very literally fight for our freedom. These veterans really did give everything they had to this country, so I think anything that we can do to give back to them is really beneficial and helpful.”

Will Ellery, CHS Indy Honor Flight coordinator and social studies teacher, said he believes it is important for students to understand the sacrifices veterans have made. For the event, the students will guide veterans around the monuments and get to know the veterans better.

Ellery said, “As responsible citizens, it’s important that our students understand the sacrifices people made for them and the shoulders they’re standing on; all their opportunities are available because of these veterans.”

Prior to departure, the veterans and guardians will attend a banquet honoring the veterans. Upon arrival, the guardians and veterans will attend a celebration at 10 p.m. where the veterans will be commended for their service.

Adzema said, “I’m just excited, because from what I understand, the veterans get a lot out of it and they get to go to those memorials which they contributed to, that a lot of them do not get a chance to do. So (Indy Honor Flight) is very unique.”

On this trip, the guardians and veterans will visit the World War II Memorial, Mall of America, Arlington National Cemetery and the Korean War Memorial. Adzema said he is excited to go see the veterans travel to these places and see the history they helped create.

Guardian and junior Gracie “Grace” Coleman said, “I think it’s just something good to do for the veterans. I think they really deserve this and it’s just a really great opportunity for us as students to help that cause.”

Matthew Dillon, guardian and social studies teacher, will accompany the students on the trip. Dillon said it is necessary for students to know to be thankful for what they have.

Dillon said, “Students need to understand that a lot of their personal freedoms and personal liberties came at a cost. That cost was with American blood. . . I think it’s important that kids make the connection that what happened in the past does influence them today even though it is 60 or 70 years ago.”

Similarly, Ellery said he believes it is an honor for these students to be able to have the opportunity they have and that it is an important life lesson for them.

Ellery said, “It’s important to nurture in our students a compassion, an appreciation for others and a desire to do more for others to demonstrate our appreciation for the things (the veterans) have done.”

Indy Honor Flight worked with CHS for the first time last year. CHS is the only high school that participates in this program because Indy Honor Flight prefers to send adults along with the veterans.

Dillon will experience his first trip with Indy Honor Flight, and he said he is grateful to have the chance to honor these veterans.

Dillon said, “Our World War II generation, they’re called the ‘Greatest Generation.’ I think that title was earned by them for what they did for what they did during World War II. It’s amazing, especially when you study the kind of environment that many of these men and women went through during the crisis that they were in. I never (take) for granted meeting any of these individuals. They all have a unique and interesting story. They’re all people that easily could be in the history book that we have, that we use for junior year U.S. history. I really wanted to make a connection with people who have done things that in my opinion are truly worthy of acknowledgement.”

Coleman said she wanted to be a part of Indy Honor Flight because of a past experience she had with her family and Ellery’s class.

“Through Mr. Ellery’s class I have learned the importance of giving back to veterans and showing respect to them,” Coleman said. “I had heard about Indy Honor Flight a couple of years ago. (My family and I) had gone to the airport to greet (the veterans) as they came home (from a trip)  two years ago and it was really neat seeing how happy they were; it obviously affected them positively.”

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 11.31.55 AM