Appreciate the Activity

Students should chose activities based on their interests

We’re reminded of it again and again, from the moment we enter high school to the time we leave: join extracurriculars not for the sake of college applications, but for enjoyment. Yet,  even from freshman year, students often discuss with their peers and themselves which activities look good on applications and how certain activities will make you “look good” for when the time comes to make your application attractive for the brief period of time when an admissions officer is deciding where the next step of your life will take place.

However, although we’re reminded of it constantly, it is important to find at least one activity that truly is for enjoyment rather than other factors. For instance, my freshman year, I strongly debated quitting orchestra for the sake of pursuing academic interests, which I believed would be better for my future. Ultimately, I decided to stay; today, that was one of the best decisions I could have made, considering orchestra is one of the few things I actually have enjoyed and continue to enjoy throughout my high school experience.

While it’s very tempting to join extracurricular activities in order to stack a resume or even fulfill parental pressure to succeed not only in high school but beyond, it’s also important to pursue true interests to build a foundation in or even discover a lifelong interest. And who knows, if you’re still set on doing anything you can, even giving up enjoyment for the sake of getting into that one dream school, maybe pursuing an extracurricular without any ulterior motives will lead you to an experience you can write that perfect college essay about. So join a club, learn how to play an instrument or try out for a sports team despite what others are telling you to do. It’s the beginning of a fresh new school year and the time is now to begin finding something you truly enjoy being a part of.