Local artist Carolyn Martens and media specialist Terri Ramos unveil new art installation

During SRT on Tues., Aug. 16, media specialist Terri Ramos and local artist Carolyn Martens unveiled a project that was long in the works. According to Ramos, Principal John Williams had asked her to find a way to fix the blank upper wall space, something she had long been wanting to do. Ramos said she wanted to create something eye-catching and educational, and ended up creating the idea for the art installation, “The World of Dewey.”

This installation includes ten paintings by Martens that show themes from each of the library sections divided by the dewey decimal system. Ramos said she wanted to do this to make the dewey decimal system easier and more appealing to students.

“It’s nice because you look at it and you automatically know where to go,” Ramos said.

The event was accompanied by CHS’s Pandora string quartet and featured refreshments as well as unveilings of each painting by a faculty member or student whose department related to the idea shown, including the reveal of the section representing thought and ideas by Peter Beck, math teacher and sponsor of the Philosophy Club, as well as the students of his club.

Overall, Ramos said she believes this new installation, though it took a lot of work from both she and Martens, will be worth it to help students use the library with more ease and bring a visual aid to the dewey decimal system.