FB Q&A: Q&A with football players Ethan Merriweather, Britt Beery, Jake McDonald

Ethan Merriweather, Senior, Wide Receiver (WR)

What are your goals for this season?

We obviously want to win as many games as we can and get as prepared as we can for Sectionals. We want to be healthy and go into the playoffs with a good shot at making it to the State Championship.

Do you think winning State is reachable?

Yeah, we just have to make sure that we are focused and take it game by game and not get caught up in rankings.

Why did you start playing football?

My dad had me join when I was young and I have always found it really fun and made a lot of friends through it, so I just stuck with it.

Do you play any other sports?

I played basketball all the way up to my senior year, but I think I will run track.

What is your favorite team?

My favorite team is the Colts and favorite player is Julio Jones. I just like his style of play because he’s a big receiver.

What’s your playing style like?

I’m one of the taller receivers, so I generally play on the outside, not too much slot, but I try to go for a lot of the deep balls and try to get a lot of first downs. Being tall really helps me since most corners aren’t as tall, so I have a height advantage. I can really just get those high balls.

What do you like about the game?

The competitiveness and not knowing whether you’ll win in a game or not. Like against HSE, we were pretty confident, and we didn’t win. The future is always uncertain, but you can always try your best to control it and play for the outcome you want.

What inspires and motivates you?

Playing for my teammates and knowing it’s not just me who wants to win, but it’s everybody else that wants to do good and I want to continue the Carmel tradition and help inspire other people to play the game.

What are your plans after high school?

I’m going to Ball State to play football for the next four years and I’m also studying business so, hopefully, I can pursue something in that after college. They gave me a scholarship and I will be signing unofficially this february. I’m excited for my opportunities there.

What team is the hardest to face?

It’s hard to tell since every team has a lot of injuries, but any MIC team for sure. We will play hard teams week in, week out, but the teams in our conference are really good.

Britt Beery, Senior, Defensive End (DE)

What can the team do to improve?

I think the main goal is to just improve chemistry and come together as a team. We need to really work together to work better.

What are your goals for the season?

Winning a State Championship is obviously the number one goal for the team, but for me, it’s to go out there everyday and just become a better player and help my teammates get better so we can achieve our goals. I do think this team has a lot of potential to be state champions, but we need to keep on working hard and putting in all we got.

Do you think reaching State is a possibility?

Yeah, I think it is. We got a pretty good side of the bracket that we are on in the Sectional draws and leading up the tournament. I think it’s really good and a definite possibility that we will make it to State. It will be hard like always. I’ve been a part of two teams that have made it to the championship and that was definitely no easy task. We had some really good players on those teams, but I think this team is very capable of making it there.

Do you play any other positions?

At Carmel, you just stick to one position and play there, but I’m on a lot of special teams, so I’m doing more than just defensive end. We all specialize in positions because we have so many kids on the team, so we don’t really move around that much.

Do you play any other sports at Carmel?

I play Varsity Basketball at Carmel as well and I’ve been playing varsity for sophomore year, ever since Ryan Cline(‘14) was here. I’ve been playing against some of the best guys in football and basketball, so it’s good to get a mix of both. Basketball allows me to just stay in shape and is definitely something I love.

Who is your favorite player?

My favorite player would probably be JJ Watt, a defensive end for the Houston Texans. He’s a beast and have a great work ethic, he’s a great guy for the community, and he’s someone that if you are a defensive end, then you should look up to him because he works hard everyday in season and out of season. It’s not just one season at a time, he works hard all of the time and have a great ethic. When I’m training, we keep on saying there aren’t a lot of guys that can go 100 percent on two or three plays in a row, and the only guy we see do that is JJ Watt. He’s in great condition and he plays as hard as he can every single play. He doesn’t get plays off and is someone I really want to emulate.  His style of very unique and is something I want to copy. Just the way he attacks the offensive line, like he doesn’t do the same move three time in a row, unless it’s really working, so he switches it up and plays mind games with the other team. He is always one step ahead and I really strive for that.

How brutal is DE?

It is a really brutal position compared to some others like wide receiver or safety. Every play we are going full out and knocking into someone else, but after a while you get used to it and just learn how to cope with it. You realize it is a part of the game and it’s really fun; being hit and hitting other people as hard as you can. It’s fun, but is very physically demanding.

What inspires you to keep going?

Honestly, the support from the school is really cool. I see a lot of friends of mine going to games and come after me and see me in the hallways and tell me, ‘Oh dude, you played great’ and stuff like that. The support from my friends and family is the thing that keeps me going, along with my love for the game.

Why do you play the game?

I’ve been playing ever since I was really really young. My dad used to coach football and he played football in college, so I’ve been around football for a long time at a very young age. I was out here at the Carmel football field running around at the age of two. It’s just something I’ve stuck with and it’s something I enjoy. It’s a game like no other. There is no game that teaches you to bond together and work together as a team when facing adversity as football does. I think that is a really important life skill that all kids should figure out at a young age is that how to deal with situations through sports.

What keeps you going?

The thrills of winning and losing, the thrill of practicing everyday after school and working hard and getting better, and just the environment on Friday nights. There is nothing that beats running out of the tunnel, getting ready for the game, seeing the other team across from you and knowing that it’s going to be a battle for a long time. For having the chance to come out on top, it’s something that I like being a part of and obviously playing football for college will be great too.

What are your plans after high school?

I will be playing football for Indiana University and I will be having a full ride there so I’ll be able to play at the next level in the BIG10, which has been a dream come true so it’s really exciting to be close to my family as well as being able to play the sport that I love.

Jacob “Jake” McDonald, Junior, Quarterback (QB)

Do you feel a bit nervous?

I feel a bit nervous because it was my first start. Last year I got a little playing time, and switching with another time was a bit difficult. But next week, I’m the only one because of senior Elliot’s [Charlebois] injury, which is very disappointing because he’s a great QB. But being able to just relax and do my thing will help. For the future, it will help if I lead more and just make the throws I know I can make. Just being smart and being able to trust my teammates.

What are your goals for the season?

Most of the all, say, to win State but mostly just improve and get better every single day, play hard and lean on each other for help.

Any personal goals?

Not really number-wise, but just help lead the team and get some wins and hopefully get to the State Championship.

Is the State Championship reachable?

Yeah, definitely. I was telling some of my friends that I think this is some of the most talent that Carmel has ever had. Two Division 1 receivers already, one Division 1 Tight End, a few Division 1 offensive linemen and some guys on defensive too. If we come together and play hard, I think this will be one of the best teams we have ever had.

What team do you think is the biggest threat?

Well, last year, Center Grove went undefeated and won State, but I know they just lost their star running back. But any team in the MIC is really good.

What got you into football?

As a kid, my dad and older brothers, really. They all played for Carmel and just going to their games and watching my brothers from the stands and watching them win the State Championship and being able to celebrate, I just want to do that for myself.

Why do you play QB?

Actually, I was a tight end, but on my CDC team, the starting quarterback got injured so coach had me play quarter and I turned out to be pretty good.

What inspires you?

Just my family and my teammates, those are people I want to play for. I’m a very selfless person, so I try to get the credit out everywhere and being able to see my family and teammates happy and winning games just brings me happiness.

Who is your favorite player?

I really like Ben Roethlisberger. He is able to stay healthy, make decisions and play tough and break tackles. He is really physical, and I want to model my game after his. My size is a bit different than his. For high school, my height is pretty standard, but our tall players just help me around.

Plans for after high school?

My dream would be to play for IU, and we will see how that goes. I don’t want to look too much into the future and, instead, take one game at a time and stick with the present.