International Arts Festival to feature CHS students, Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council to host frisbee tournament

At Porchfest on Sept. 10, Luke Belcher and William “Will” Rice, Main Street Jazz Band members and freshmen, prepare to play a song. According to Nancy Heck, Carmel director of community relations and economic development, many more arts festivals will take place in the Arts and Design District throughout September, like the International Arts Festival on Sept. 24 and 25.

Melissa Yap

On Sept. 24 and 25, Carmel will hold the International Arts Festival. The festival will run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sept. 24 and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sept. 25. It will showcase 130 artists from around the world on Main Street and the Carmel Arts and Design District, along with their exhibits in watercolor, jewelry, oil mediums, wood, pottery and sculpture. Admission is free to the public, but many artists will feature their works to sell.

According to Nancy Heck, Carmel director of community relations and economic development, the festival features both professional artists and students at CHS.

“Even though we’ve got all these established artists, it’s a great opportunity for the community to see all the talented students that have put so much effort into their art,” she said.

Festival visitors can park underground at the Indiana Design Center on 200 S. Rangeline Road. For visitors who park at CHS, a shuttle service will run to the Arts and Design District from the school.

Additionally, Ryan Woock, Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council (CMYC) president and senior, said the CMYC will host an ultimate frisbee tournament open to all CHS students. The tournament will run from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sept. 16 at the practice football fields behind the stadium.

Students can sign up by picking up forms at room B104, and turning them in there by the end of the school day on Sept. 13. Student teams must consist of eight members, and each participant must pay $5 to enter. Proceeds from the tournament will go to a charity of the winning team’s choice. Teams do not need to bring their own frisbees; the CMYC will provide them.