Canvas Conversion Q&A with Assistant Principal Brooke Watkins

Assistant Principal Brooke Watkins

What are the advantages of Canvas?

(Canvas) is consistent in how we communicate with both students and parents. If we are all using Canvas, (parents) have a consistent way of knowing what’s going on in their student’s classroom. It also equalizes the educational opportunities for students, so a student who may take a little longer to learn something or a student who is absent (has) a place where they can go and get their resources or revisit a lecture the teacher gave…if a teacher is giving a demonstration and they record it, a student can go back and view that on their own time at their own speed.”

What prompted the transition to Canvas?

The biggest thing was just that there were so many different things that schools and teachers were using that we needed to have some common ground and some consistent way of communicating. Almost all colleges and universities use some sort of online learning platform, and if we are preparing students for their futures, we need to make sure that we are using tools that are going to help them be successful.

What was the planning process like?

Carmel Clay Schools District chose (Canvas). There was a committee of teachers and administrators that explored different online learning management systems last year. We selected two because of their ability to talk with tools we already use like Powerschool and our web programming. Canvas was one of those tools. We had presentations from the different companies a couple different times, we explored different aspects of each of the platforms and afterwards we went through that process, the group decided to go with Canvas.

To read what others have to say about Canvas, go here.
screen-shot-2016-09-15-at-2-23-56-pm