Carmel to host gallery walk, themed dining events, dodgeball tournament

Elyse Beggs, Tina’s Traditional Tearoom baker, prepares dough for baked goods for a Dr. Who-themed event at the Tearoom. The next event will take place Oct. 21, and be based around Sherlock Holmes.

Melissa Yap

According to Nancy Heck, Carmel director of community relations and economic development, the city’s Arts and Design District will host a gallery walk from 5 to 9 p.m. on Oct. 8.

Local galleries on Main Street and Rangeline Road, such as the Evan Lurie Fine Arts Gallery, Magdalena Gallery and Hoosier Salon, will showcase their works to the public. These will include paintings and sculptures from local artists.

“Events like the gallery walk are really cool because that’s where people get exposure to local artists. Then, they might see some artist’s work, and go, ‘Wow, that’s actually really good,’ and then bring more attention to that artist’s other paintings or sculptures,” Heck said.

The gallery walk will run events such as a pumpkin carving demonstration at 111 W. Main St. There, a veteran pumpkin carver will teach attendees pumpkin design and carving techniques.

Many Main Street restaurants will also hold themed events, such as Tina’s Traditional Tearoom’s Sherlock Holmes Murder Mystery Evening from 6 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 21. At this event, attendees will work together to solve a murder mystery over an English-style dinner. The themed dinner will cost $35 per person, and those who would like to sign up can do so at the Tearoom’s website. The restaurant is located at 30 N. Rangeline Road.

Additionally, Ryan Woock, Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council (CMYC) president and senior, said the CMYC will host a dodgeball tournament open to all high school students, not just those from CHS. The tournament will take place on Oct. 28, but the time, place and participation forms haven’t been released yet. The tournament will require an entry fee, but all proceeds from will go to a charity of the winning team’s choice.

Students who wish to sign up for the tournament can’t do so just yet, but can collect team sign-up sheets at room B104 when they are released. Woock said students who wish to participate should listen to the announcements for further details.