A.C.T. to compete in WRAL match on Nov. 17

A.C.T. coach John Shearin looks over the scorecard from the last WRAL match. He said he is optimistic about the team this year, especially because of their already strong start.
The Academic Competition Team (A.C.T.) will participate in the fourth match of the White River Academic League (WRAL) season. The match will take place on Nov. 17 at CHS against Cathedral High School. According to A.C.T. coach John Shearin, he said he believes they are prepared for the upcoming match.
Most recently, on Nov. 3, the varsity and junior varsity teams won their third matches of the season against Lawrence North. Because of these wins, both the varsity and JV teams are undefeated and the highest ranked in their divisions. Shearin said he is proud of the team’s performance in both the most recent match as well as the entire year.
“I think they did very well. I have not seen the league results from the third match (of the WRAL season), but as of right now, we are ranked number one in our division. I am very pleased with how the students are doing,” he said.
Shearin also said that one of the strong points in the team is the new talent they have picked up this year.
“Some of the players who are new to us this year and are underclassmen are coming along very well,” Shearin said. “Three of the four top players are seniors, so I need to have somebody coming up behind them, and it looks like we have that. I am cautiously confident that we will be okay next year.”
Christopher “Chris” Nardi, A.C.T. member and junior, said the team is doing great this year, but he said he thinks the biggest weakness the team has is the lack of underclassmen.
“I think we’ve done pretty well this year. We’ve one all of our matches this year, so that’s pretty good,” Nardi said. “We don’t have as many freshman and sophomores this year, so getting them more involved would be nice.
Nardi also said he enjoys being on the team and participating in the competitions because of all of the information he learns.
He said, “It’s very interesting to learn about various topics, like some things you would never even think about. If you ever watch Jeopardy, it’s a lot like some of those things you learn on there.”