Students find new heights outside of CHS with local rock climbing facility Hoosier Heights

HOLD TIGHT: Noah Novak, an American Ninja Warrior course trainer at Hoosier Heights, grabs on to the wall as he climbs to the top. Novak assists people as they go through the course in the role of a spotter and to help them avoid injuries. “It’s fun to watch people climbing and use the (American Ninja Warrior) course because it shows me different ways to approach routes on the wall,” Novak said. MICHAEL JOHNSON | PHOTO
JUST HANGING OUT: Hoosier Heights employee Noah Novak hangs from a climbing hold. The Hoosier Heights gym has different rock walls and an American Ninja Warrior course. The rock walls include both free climbing and belay climbing. MICHAEL JOHNSON | PHOTO
JUST HANGING OUT:
Hoosier Heights employee Noah Novak hangs from a climbing hold. The Hoosier Heights gym has different rock walls and an American Ninja Warrior course. The rock walls include both free climbing and belay climbing. MICHAEL JOHNSON | PHOTO

CHS does not have a rock climbing team, so students like sophomore Robert “Reece” Raduchel climb at different facilities around the Carmel area. One such gym is Hoosier Heights. According to Raduchel, people are able to climb with different muscles, train throughout the week and work out.

Although stories may be different, all the climbers who go to Hoosier Heights became interested in climbing at some point. Raduchel said he first became interested after he went once in the summer.screen-shot-2016-11-18-at-7-49-22-am

“So when I first got into it, I ended up just going for fun. It seemed like something fun to do over the summer, so I went to an indoor climbing gym, and I really, really liked it. I went back the next week, and this went on all summer, and then at the end of the year, I ended up getting a membership so I could go whenever I want,” Raduchel said.

Similar to Raduchel, junior Tasha Geisler said she became interested when she went with a group of friends. “Me and my friends kind of just decided to go one time just for fun and try something new. After that me and one of my other friends, we kind of just started going more, then we got to summer and we were going three times a week. So, I guess I slowly got more into it as a hobby instead of (climbing) just for fun,” Geisler said.

Sophomore Jackson “Jack” Heldt discovered climbing a different way. “I had a few rock climbing parties when I was younger, and I really enjoyed them. Now I like to go about twice a month,” Heldt said.

Climbing is not just light fun. Climbers use several different muscles across their whole body for ease and success. Heldt said specific muscles are important to use because they help climbers get to the top of the wall.

screen-shot-2016-11-18-at-7-49-00-am

“(You use) a lot of your forearm and grip strength, which is really important, as well as your legs because they help you push off and stuff,” Heldt said.

Geisler also described the specific muscles are needed when climbing.

“(You use) a lot of shoulder muscles, definitely your forearms, that one hurts, like a lot, and you also use a strong core and all of the muscles in your body because you have engage your legs too especially if you’re trying to push up to reach another piece,” Geisler said. 

Not only do climbers need to use several different muscles, but mentality is also an important aspect to climbing.

“Mentality is a huge thing with rock climbing. You have to be really mentally tough to say that you can make it the top; if you don’t say it, you’re never going to succeed. It’s a huge thing that you have to work on that (can’t really be taught), you have to force yourself to do it,” Raduchel said.

Geisler also said that mentality is important. “You have to just keep working at it because your arms and your muscles get really tired, especially in your forearms since you hold on to the rocks really tightly. You just have to keep your mind very much engaged at all times because if your mind starts wandering, it’s really easy to make a small mistake, and you fall,” Geisler said.

Raduchel said there is a lot of time dedication involved with climbing. He said he climbs three days a week and teaches younger classes all the other days. He goes to the almost everyday.

“There is a lot of time dedication, pretty much when I’m not in school. I’m climbing or helping out around the climbing gym or getting ready and preparing for a climbing competition,” Raduchel said.

screen-shot-2016-11-18-at-7-48-18-amAlongside climbers at the gym, employees help out at the gym by instructing and belaying, holding the ropes attached to climbers to prevent falling, for other climbers. Employee Noah Novak works in the American Ninja Warrior (ANW) portion of the gym.

“American Ninja Warrior is course that is setup to test your agility, upper body strength and balance through a course made of hanging bars, rings and other objects mixed with balance obstacles, such as walking across a thin beam or board,” Novak said.

Novak said there are many pros and cons to the job, but it is all worth it. 

“As an employee, I coach people through the course, giving them advice and helping them not get injured by spotting them. It’s fun watching people climb and use the ANW course because it shows me different ways to approach routes on the walls. It is also a little annoying sometimes, since we are not allowed to climb while on the clock working,” Novak said.