AP exams scheduled for May 2010

Many students are in one, if not various AP classes, and the AP exams for these classes are scheduled for May. Testing dates are scheduled from May 3 to the following week on May 14. Most AP tests cost $86.

Like many students, junior Alex Wallace is contemplating his AP test for AP Physics on May 10. “I guess it will be difficult, but hopefully I’ll be well prepared,” Wallace said.

AP Coordinator and Counselor Maria Cottone said that the AP test is optional.

“Most kids take (the AP test) because Indiana requires it to receive an Academic Honors Diploma,” Cottone said. Cottone also said that the Academic Honors Diploma requires the students to have four AP credits, in addition to that course’s AP test.

“It doesn’t necessarily matter what you score on the AP test for the Academic Honors Diploma. However, if you score a four or a five, you’ll probably receive college credit,” Cottone said.

“I hope to get some college credit for what I’ve done, but I want to go into mechanical engineering. It’s too bad that they don’t have a course at school that could get me some college credit for that,” Wallace said.

“Normally, the AP tests aren’t all that difficult, that is if you’ve gone through the class, paid attention and gone through the preparation session,” Cottone said. Cottone also said that the average score students get on AP tests is anywhere from a three to a five. “It all depends on the student,” Cottone said. “You might have a kid whose GPA is pretty low, but put them in an AP World class and they may really excel if that’s what they like doing. It’s not going to do them any good if they take an AP English test and they aren’t good at English.”

Soon, the families of students participating the AP program will be receiving a booklet informing them about how to get ready for the AP exam’s, information about the AP program and what to bring to the testing room. Typically, every AP test is $86, however there are exceptions. AP Mathematics and AP Science tests are only $8. “You don’t have to be in the class to take the exam, and it would be such a shame not to take the test at such a great price,” Cottone said.

Wallace said “I know it is going to be a challenge, but I hope that I will do well and hopefully get a good score on my AP test; its probably not a bad idea to start studying from now.” By Keshav Masani <[email protected]>