Teacher concerned community is unaware of referendum purpose

The Carmel Clay School Board has proposed a $12 million referendum. Voters will have the option of both renewing funds that expire in 2012 and providing additional funds due to state and other cuts.

Alicia Noneman, regular and AP Government teacher here, said she and other government and economics teachers have been trying to register students to vote in the May 4 election.

“We did a campaign drive to get students to register in government and economics classes. A lot of the students are unfamiliar with the (voting) process and research shows that it is less likely they will vote (if that is the case), so we offer them the form and they just have to fill it out,” Noneman said.

According the Tricia Hackett, Vice President of the Carmel Clay School Board, the referendum is being considered for multitude or reasons.

“The Carmel Clay School District is having a revenue problem due to the recession, the new funding formula, and immediate reductions directed by the Governor as of Jan. 1. The school board first responded to declining revenue with budget cuts. $315,200 was cut from the general fund budget during the 2008-09 school year, $1.5million in 2009, and $3million is proposed this year.

In 2008, no one realized the full impact of this recession. Cuts were needed but could be kept to a ‘minimum.’ As the recession worsened and its effects were felt nationally, our school district’s revenue problems grew worse. To continually reduce the district’s budget is one option, but certainly not ideal for the education and well being of our youth. A general fund referendum is the only process available for a local community to support their local school district financially,” Hackett said in an interview via e-mail.

Sunny Huang, Speaker of the House and senior, said that she feels it is important for the referendum to pass.

“I’m in support of the referendum because I have close ties with a lot of the programs that would be directly affected (if it did not pass). I, along with my peers, have been positively affected by a lot of the experiences we’ve received throughout high school. I have a younger sister and I would like to have her benefit from (those experiences), as well,” Huang said.

Noneman said she is in support of the referendum.

“Over the last year deep cuts to education have been at the state level in an effort to balance the budget. This means that Carmel Clay Schools and other districts are receiving millions dollars less and this is compounded with the expiring referendum. Right now we have an operating budget that’s shrinking as enrollment is increasing,” Noneman said.

If voters decide not to support a referendum Hackett said that repercussions would be encompassing.

“The school board is presently looking at necessary budget reductions of approximately $3 million including, but not limited to, 35 teaching positions, one assistant superintendent, support staff, supplies and specific energy saving strategies. A reduction of this size will touch each student one way or another. If the $12 million referendum does not pass May 4, we would be forced to uphold all these cuts and look at reductions nearing three times this amount,” Hackett said. By Rosemary Boeglin <[email protected]>

View Comments (2)
$20
$500

• T

TaxpayerApr 28, 2010 at 12:45 am

The median value of a house in Carmel is $251,400. The levy would increase property taxes on this home by $17.61 a month, $211.43 a year. For a $500,000 house, it would increase taxes by $39.32 a month, $471.92 a year. For a $750,000 home, it would increase taxes by $62.56 a month, $750.79 a year.

Reply
  • T

TaxpayerApr 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

The school superintendant says that they can undo previous budget cuts if the referendum passes. In other words, the schools do not want to make any cuts and are asking for more than is needed. This would be a very large tax increase and my honest opinion is that voters should reject it.

Fishers passed a levy, but it was $5M with some budget cuts, not $12M and undo all budget cuts. Carmel is spending property taxes to operate the arts center and other non-governmental functions. Otherwise, they would have enough money to run the schools and perform other governmental functions.

Reply