Administration urges students to become informed, vote

In just a week, Carmel residents will decide whether or not to raise property taxes for a $12 million referendum to combat the growing budget crisis in the school district. “We’re in financial trouble, and it’s a result of insufficient funding,” Principal John Williams said.

Most seniors are eligible to vote if they are 18 years of age before next Tuesday, but Williams said it is important for students of all ages to be informed of the issue.

Those who are 16 and older may sign up to work at the polls on Election Day, along with canvassing in their neighborhoods. Community members may also request yard signs to be delivered to their homes, according to Williams.

Student body president Steven Brisley and other student government leaders set up tables last month in cafeterias to make sure eligible students registered to vote. “The referendum will help our fellow students,” Brisley said.

According to Williams, the referendum will help both in extracurriculars and academics. With more funding, extracurriculars in peril of being cut will have the chance to remain in place, and less teachers will be forced to teach a sixth class. Typically, he said, this results in teachers making classes less challenging and writing-based and incorporating more in order to save time grading. “We could have each teacher teach a sixth (period),” Williams said. “That’d save a whole lot of money. But is that worth what we pay for (in opportunities?)” By Michelle Hu <[email protected]>