Tips to start a business

By Darlene Pham
<[email protected]> 

Businesses are difficult to manage for anyone, let alone students. Students need to not only make sure their business is a success, but also learn the qualities it takes to be a good business person and boss. According to business teacher Joy Law, there are many steps a student should take to ensure his or her business is successful.

“First of all, students who are really interested in starting their own business should try and take as many business classes as possible,” Law said via e-mail. Then they should look for their target market, basically, the customers to whom they are trying to sell their product. Once students know their target market, Law said students should do research on how to reach these customers. Utilizing the radio, television, magazines, community events and mailings would help students reach these customers.

“When you start a business, you have to realize that you are taking a risk. Many successful business people have failed several times before they succeeded,” Law said. Students have to wear many hats when they own a business. They have to learn to manage people, advertisements and money. Organization and being able to meet deadlines are also key. According to Law, students must see a need and determine how they can fill that need for the consumer.

Classes You Can Take

Junior Marketing, Senior Marketing, Accounting 1-2, Accounting 3-4, Business Law and Business College Prep are some of the classes offered here that will provide students basic knowledge to run a business.

Qualities You Need

Law said it is important for students to develop a passion for the type of business they want to start. They must have the drive or interest to making the business a success.  Students should be realistic and develop business plans to help create strategies.