Students should appreciate in-state colleges

By Hilite Staff

As college application deadlines approach, talk among seniors focuses almost exclusively on colleges to which they are applying. Even underclassmen join in on this discussion of colleges, conversing about which universities they’d like to attend. A large number of students will look for out-of-state colleges in order to gain new experiences and fresh starts; however, students should not overlook in-state public universities. Although perhaps lacking the perceived prestige that the some of the best Ivy League schools offer, Indiana’s in-state universities are still great institutes of higher learning that students should consider.

State schools have often been fall-back choices for many here–afterthoughts that aren’t really given much credence by students. But students should take note that in-state public universities are actually much better than they think. In fact, in-state universities offer many benefits over their out-of-state private counterparts that students should be aware of when deciding on which colleges to apply to.

First, Indiana’s public universities have several nationally-recognized programs. IU’s Kelley School of Business consistently ranks among the top business schools in the U.S. For the 2010 school year, BusinessWeek ranked IU’s undergraduate business program as 19th in the nation. Additionally, Purdue University’s engineering school ranks ninth nationally, according to U.S. News and World Report, and Ball State’s journalism and architecture schools have been nationally ranked at the top as well. These universities have programs comparable to top private schools that are virtually right next door to students.

Furthermore, Indiana’s schools have also seen a rise in National Merit Scholars in their student bodies. In 2009, IU had an increase of 37 percent in National Merit Scholar attendees, meaning more academically strong students are going to public universities. Public colleges also have one big advantage: the large student body. Having a large student body allows universities to provide a more varied selection of academic programs. IU alone offers around 180 majors and 330 degree programs. For students who are still unsure of what career direction they want to pursue, these colleges may be much better choices for them to explore.

On top of the great education that is available, public in-state colleges are better financially. The average cost of tuition and fees for in-state public colleges is $7,020. For private universities, the cost is $26,273, over triple the in-state amount. And as always, public universities offer large amounts of money in scholarships and financial aid to students who need it. Of course, this is not new information, but the financial benefits after graduating from college is. According to a 2009 study conducted by the Wall Street Journal, companies prefer to recruit from large state universities rather than smaller Ivy League schools in order to obtain people with more practical skills to fill entry-level jobs.

For these reasons, students should understand that colleges in Indiana are much better options for them than many people suggest. They provide top-quality education and make more sense financially. While students search for colleges, they should appreciate what is available in their own backyard and accept these schools to be as legitimate choices as their out-of state private counterparts.