CHS publications staffs earn awards from NSPA

The HiLite newspaper staff received recognition in three Best of Show categories at the National Scholastic Press Association’s (NSPA) fall convention in Kansas City, Mo. The HiLite earned fourth place in the newsmagazine Best of Show category. In the newspaper special edition Best of Show category, the Acumen received fifth place. HiLite Online was awarded second place in the publication website Best of Show category for large schools.

The eight students who attended the convention also competed in on-site write-off competitions. Ester Lathrem, Pinnacle staff member and junior, earned a superior rating in the yearbook copy and caption writing for clubs category. Cassie Dugan, HiLite reporter and senior, was awarded an honorable mention in editorial writing. Sara Rogers, HiLite editor in chief and senior, received an honorable mention in commentary writing.

During the convention, HiLite adviser Jim Streisel led seminars on “journalism’s 10 deadly sins” and online writing. Pinnacle adviser Nicole Wilson taught a session on advertising and served as a competition judge. Rogers spoke with 45words, a group of eight students raising awareness for First Amendment, advocating for student press rights.

A complete list of winners from the NSPA Best of Show competition is listed here.

A complete list of winners from the JEA write-off competitions is listed here.